Would you believe it if you are told that with 4 minutes of exercise, you can have a body that is smart, fit, and in a good shape? You may be amazed but the truth is that practicing these fat-burning workouts will give your body an excellent physique. This routine is known as the Tabita training or High-Intensity Interval training.
The idea behind the routine is that you give your workout the best you’ve got while in a state of complete focus and determination. The results at the end of these workouts usually show higher levels of oxygen consumption by the body, resting metabolic rate, increased aerobic and anaerobic capacities. Most amazing is the fact that you would have burnt more fat than the regular one-hour workouts.
Here is how it works. Pick two or four exercises that will form a good routine, where you can easily transition from back and forth. The fat-burning workouts require you to exercise for 20 seconds and then rest for 10 seconds. This needs to be done for a total of eight 20-second sets.
Meanwhile, you take continuous 10-second rest pauses in between. Or, you could work out intensely for 2 minutes and then take a break for 60 seconds and continue with your rigorous exercising for another 2 minutes.
4 Minutes Fat-Burning Workouts
What You’ll Need:
There are only 3 basic pieces of equipment you’ll need for these fat-burning workouts. And the great thing is, they’re all relatively cheap to buy on Amazon and they’re multi-purpose, meaning you can use them for a variety of different workouts and exercise routines apart from these ones.
A light workout gear; I get all of my Women’s Workout & Training Pants from Amazon for less than half the price (the quality, price, and prints are awesome) A gym timer (free apps are available for download), and A floor mat to lay on the floor.
1. Dumbbell Snatch:
The exercise includes squatting, stretching and a little lifting. It works the whole body and will burn off fat in just a few minutes.
- Spread your feet, making sure they are further apart than your shoulder width.
- Grab the dumbbell with your left hand so that it is facing downwards, and stretch out your right arm towards your right side as high as your shoulder.
- Squat a little, so that your bent knees are right over your toes.
- Now push yourself upright, drawing energy from your hips. Raise the dumbbell in front of you till the shoulder level. (All the while having your right arm stretched out).
- Next, raise your dumbbell over your head in a swift move as if to punch the ceiling.
Repeat for 20 seconds, and then rest for 10 seconds.
2. Handstand Push-Up:
If you’re the type that loves a good challenge and you’re able to balance yourself well, then you should give this exercise a try.
- Lie flat on the floor and kick off the ground to rest the back of your legs against a wall, and
- Support your upright position with your hands.
- Get a friend to help you get into position and help you stay steady. Once in position,
- Lower your entire body by bending only your elbows while the rest of the body remains aligned.
- Work it till you are at least 2 inches lower. There’s no need to have your head reaching all the way to the floor.
Do as many as you can, and as fast as you can in 20 seconds.
3. Jumping Jacks:
It seems so simple, yet, the impact it has on the body muscles is not small.
- Stand in an upright position with your feet together and arms by your sides.
- Jump and take your legs apart at a comfortable distance while simultaneously
- Raising your hands from your sides till they extend over your head and meet.
- Jump back to the original position.
Do at least ten of these in a set of 20 seconds as a part of these fat-burning workouts.
Push-ups are fat-burning workouts that strengthen the upper body well. They also work well for the torso muscles.
- Assume a plank position on the floor.
- Bring the hand up till the shoulders.
- Keeping your toes and hands firmly planted on the floor, push yourself upwards to lift the body as you exhale.
- Lower yourself and inhale simultaneously.
Do 10 of these, but at a slower pace for best results.
5. Lunge Jumps:
Lunges target the lower body muscles, like the glutes, hamstrings, and quadriceps. They are parts of fat-burning workouts that are excellent for losing those calories and slimming down your thighs, hips, and butt.
- Start by bringing your right leg forward and bending into a lunge position, and at the same time bending your arms at the elbows.
- Propel yourself straight off the ground, reaching your arms over your head and stretching your legs while in the air. Switch legs and resume the lunge position as you land back down.
- Repeat the process again as quickly as possible in 20 seconds.
6. Mountain Climbers:
This exercise provides a complete workout to the body. It uses the upper arm strength and tones the muscles along the arms and shoulders. At the same time, your back and abdominal muscles get a good workout. The hips, knees, and quadriceps in the legs are also flexed to keep you steady with the movement of the exercise.
- Bend forward till your hands reach the floor.
- Stand on your toes and extend one foot back and bring the other to your chest. (Your position should represent the starting position a sprinter would assume).
- Jump and switch your leg positions, making sure you land on your toes.
- Keep alternating until your 20 seconds are up.
7. Box Jumps:
Box jumps are exciting and require you to jump very high. They not only promote good balance but also strengthens your leg muscles. When used in an intense workout, they can melt your fat away. It is basically saying goodbyes to calories while having fun.
- Stand before the box and jump with both feet. You should be landing on the top of the box with both your feet.
- Jump off the box in the same manner.
- If the jumping isn’t for you, you could try step-ups, where, instead of jumping, you step onto the box one foot at a time, and get off the same way.
- Alternate your stepping legs to complete the 20 seconds.
Repeat for 20 seconds.
8. Speed Skater:
This exercise is you skating without skates, in your own home. This exercise in your fat-burning workouts routine will guarantee you both toned legs and a great balance.
- Start by standing straight with your feet together and hands by your sides.
- Step to the left with one foot, thereby spreading your legs apart.
- Lower yourself into a squatting position and bring your right bent leg behind your body so that it is lightly tapping the floor.
- Swing your arms to the left side of your body.
- Now quickly push off with your left foot jumping over the right leg and
- Swing your arms to the sides so that they are extended till the shoulder level.
- Land back down on your right foot, with your left foot positioned at the back.
- Repeat the same so that you land on your left foot now.
- It will take a little time to perfect this move.
Once you’ve got it, repeat as fast as you can for 20 seconds. Then take a break.
The Tabata training fat-burning workouts look so simple, but to get the best of it, you need to work at maximum intensity. So, if you aren’t feeling the burn once those 4 minutes are up, you probably aren’t doing it right!
As a beginner, you may start out with two exercises instead of going in for four different types. Focus on doing each of them vigorously for 2 minutes. Once you feel like they’re becoming much easier to perform, increase the number of exercises to four. But always remember to stretch and warm up before you start intense exercising.
Tabata workouts also go well with regular workouts at the home and even at the gym.