In this post, you will learn how to get rid of muffin top. Now, a muffin-top is the cute overhanging fat that spills over the waistline of pants or skirts. “Love handles” or “spare tire” are some other names for Muffin Top.
No woman wishes to have them and those who do extremely hate them. The hate is for no other reason than their special abilities to ruin special outfits. They also can ruin beach moments because they can make bikinis look ridiculous.
It is important that you know that your “spare tire” is part of a set group of muscles known as your core. It is this muscle that connects your upper and lower body. To get rid of muffin top and tone your stomach, you need to train your core muscles—specifically, the “love handles”.
Muffin Tops or Love handles lie on top of the obliques, which are a very specific group of abdominal muscles. To get rid of muffin top, you will have to perform exercises that precisely target them. That being said, it’s a myth that you can spot reduce fat loss. Yes, you can target your obliques to maximize toning, but fat is lost through cardio and diet.
We’ve all heard that abs are made in the kitchen, and- fortunately- it’s true. You can do crunches until the cows come home, but unless you get rid of muffin top through healthy eating, your toned abs may never be seen.
Also read: How to Lose Belly Pooch
13 Best Exercises To Prevent Lower Back Pain
Exercises to Get Rid of Muffin Top in a week
What You’ll Need:
There are only 3 basic pieces of equipment you’ll need for this workout. And the great thing is, they’re all relatively cheap to buy on Amazon and they’re multi-purpose, meaning you can use them for a variety of different workouts and exercise routines beyond this one.
A light workout gear; I get all of my Women’s Workout & Training Pants from Amazon for less than half the price (the quality, price, and prints are awesome) A gym timer (free apps are available for download), and A floor mat to lay on the floor.
making you look good and fit, a strong core can also help reduce back pain. These 5 exercises target the core, tone the love handles, and also work your abs from all angles.
1. Reverse Crunches
- Lie down on the floor with your legs fully extended and arms to the side of your torso with the palms on the floor.
- Move your legs up so that your thighs are perpendicular to the floor and feet are together and parallel to the floor.
- Then, Move your legs towards the torso as you roll your pelvis backward and you raise your hips off the floor.
- Hold the contraction for a second and move your legs back to the starting position while exhaling.
2. Downward-Facing Dog
- Get down into a forearm plank with your elbows directly beneath your shoulders, legs extended.
- Draw your navel toward the spine and engage your glutes.
- Press through your heels so calves are lengthened.
- Your body should form a straight line from head to heels.
- Slowly exhale and shift your weight backward by pushing your hips up and back.
- Continue moving your body until it forms an inverted V,
- Allowing your head to hang loosely between your shoulders.
- Keep your legs extended and be sure to maintain a flat back. Hold for 1-2 seconds.
Continue back and forth for 10-12 repetitions.
Using one hand weight, stand with your feet hip-width apart with your weight on your left leg.
- Start by holding the weight in both hands up by your left shoulder.
- Next, twist to make a chopping motion down towards your right hip.
- Allow your feet and knees to pivot with the twist.
- Raise the weight back up to your left shoulder and repeat for 20 reps.
- Next work your right side.
Do 20 reps on each side
4. Russian Twists
- Sit on the ground with your knees bent and your heels about a foot from your butt.
- Lean slightly back without rounding your spine at all. It is really important, and difficult, to keep your back straight, but don’t let it curve.
- Place your arms straight out in front of you with your hands one on top of the other.
- Your hands should be level with the bottom of your ribcage.
- Pull your navel to your spine and twist slowly to the left.
- The movement is not large and comes from the ribs rotating, not from your arms swinging.
- Inhale through center and rotate to the right.
This completes one rep and aids your quest to get rid of muffin tops.
Read More: Best Exercises for Six-Pack Abs in 30 days
- Start by lying down flat on your back with your arms at your sides, palms pressing into the floor.
- You can place your hands under your pelvis if you feel the need to protect your lower back.
- Lift both your legs off the floor towards the ceiling, contracting the abs and pressing your lowers abs into the ground.
- Keeping your abs engaged and lower back on the ground,
- Slowly lower your right leg until it’s a few inches above the floor. Then
- Scissor your legs, lifting your right leg up while lowering your left leg.
Continue alternating between your legs for 10 -12 reps per leg.
6. Side Jackknife
- Lie on your left side on an exercise mat with your legs extended straight down and the right leg on top of the left.
- Place your left hand on your abdominals.
- Place your right hand behind your head.
- Now, raise your right leg straight in the air while simultaneously raising your torso, bringing your right elbow toward your right leg.
- Hold for a moment and then return to the starting position.
Repeat for a complete set and then switch sides.
7. Dynamic Plank
This exercise strengthens your core to help you get rid of muffin top fast. It also works your chest and shoulders.
- Start in plank position with your elbows directly beneath your shoulders.
- Your body should form a straight-line from your head to heels.
- Move your right hand into standard push-up position, then
- Move your left hand into a standard push up position.
- Return to the starting position by lowering onto your right forearm and then your left forearm.
- Alternate sides, rising onto your left hand next, then your right hand.
Repeat until you complete 10-12 reps on each side.
8. Side Plank
- Start by lying on your left side with your knees straight.
- Prop your upper body up on your left elbow and forearm.
- Position your elbow under your shoulder. Then,
- Brace your core by contracting your abs forcefully.
- Raise your hips until your body forms a straight line from your ankles to your shoulders.
- Your head should stay in line with your body.
- Hold this position for the prescribed amount of time while breathing deeply.
Turn around so that you’re lying on your right side and repeat.