Essential oils for anxiety- Having to worry about one thing or the other is a daily routine for some people, especially adults. You think of work, kids, spouse, business, shopping, holiday, and lots more.
All these lead to the accumulation of stress, which is a forerunner of anxiety, depression, and panic attack. For the past few years, I have placed myself on some antidepressant medications.
At the moment I feel troubled or emotionally imbalanced, I pop up my pills without thinking of possible side effects. Antidepressants are useful for relieving symptoms of depression, anxiety disorder, and panic attacks. However, they may likely have some side effects.
Some of the prominent side effects of these medications could be nausea, sexual dysfunction, insomnia, headache, and dizziness. Until I discovered the most natural way to treat anxiety, I was a victim of some of these side effects.
You don’t always need to settle for drugs as the ultimate cure for anxiety, depression, and panic attack. There are lovely essential oils for anxiety treatment.
This isn’t probably the first time you are reading on essential oils. But maybe you didn’t know some of them could work as the best antidepressants you can ever think of.
Essential oils are the number one home remedies for relieving yourself of anxiety symptoms, depression, and panic attacks.
8 Best Essential Oils for Anxiety
A study conducted on some cancer patients in 2008 showed that aromatic essential oils are potent remedies for pain, anxiety, and depression.
In that study, bergamot, lavender, and frankincense essential oils diluted with a carrier oil (sweet almond) were used for a daily hand massage on a control group.
The one-week hand massage had a positive effect on pain and depression in hospice patients with terminal cancer.
Are you searching for the best essential oils to treat the mind and boost mood? Keep reading to check my list of the wonder-working essential oils for anxiety, depression, and panic attack.
1. Lavender Oil
The lavender essential oil is a popular natural remedy for anxiety. This is because of its powerful anxiolytic effects.
Apart from its abilities to reduce stress, lavender oil also has a calming, relaxing effect.
This oil ensures the proper restoration of the nervous system. It helps with inner peace, sleep, restlessness, irritability, panic attacks, nervous stomach, and general nervous tension.
2. Bergamot Oil
Bergamot oil is yet another fantastic remedy for anxiety. This essential oil provides a calming and relaxing effect when used.
Not only is the bergamot oil good for depression, but it also helps to treat insomnia and reduce agitation. You can dilute this oil with some other carrier oils and essential oils for quick results.
3. Chamomile Oil
Have you ever experienced the soothing of chamomile tea? Chamomile oil is one of the most popular herbal remedies for feelings of stress, anxiety, and insomnia. This oil has a calming fragrance that can help improve tranquility and alleviate nerves.
In a medical study, it was found out that chamomile oil may provide antidepressant activity in anxious, depressed humans.
4. Rose Oil
With few drops of rose essential oils, your emotional troubles are gone. When you’re grieving or in shock, the choice of this essential oil is perfect. Rose essential oil helps in relieving anxiety and depression.
In a study of women who were pregnant for the first time published in the Iranian Red Crescent Medical Journal, one group of women was received a 10-minute inhalation and footbath with oil rose, another group received a 10-minute warm-water footbath, and they were compared to a control group.
The findings showed, “aromatherapy and footbath reduce anxiety in nulliparous women.”
5. Frankincense Oil
The use of the frankincense oil dates as far back as the biblical times. In different ancient cultures, this essential oil is known to be perfect for treating depression and anxiety.
This oil provides calming and tranquil energy as well as spiritual grounding. In aromatherapy, it helps deepen meditation and quiet the mind.
This essential oil also lifts your mood in the most surprising way, boosts the oxygen supply to your brain, and stimulates the limbic system, helping to bring your emotions back into check.
6. Sandalwood Oil
For improved mental clarity and balance, sandalwood oil is a powerful tool. This superb essential oil is key to maintaining inner harmony and peace. Asides being on a list of the best essential oils for anxiety, sandalwood oil is good for your overall well-being and mental health.
The woody and natural fragrance of sandalwood oil have a powerful curative effect on the brain’s limbic system, which makes it an excellent emotional balancer.
7. Clary Sage Oil
The clary sage essential oil is a powerful natural antidepressant. It works just like pharmaceutical medications to relieve stress, anxiety, depression, and panic attack.
According to a study, inhaling clary sage oil could influence the levels of dopamine (the feel happy chemical) in the brain and body.
This oil is excellent for uplifting the mood, and it helps to ease feelings of anxiety by calming the mind while boosting self-esteem and confidence.
8. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint essential oil contains menthol, which is a natural anesthetic that gives an incredible, cooling sensation. The great scent of this oil improves your concentration, keeps you active, and makes you balance mentally.
Also, it helps treat anxiety naturally and can also be used to alleviate headaches, enhance memory, increase alertness, bring feelings of calmness, indigestion, etc.
It doesn’t directly treat your mental health but instead treats the emotions that can cause a spike of panic to occur.
Before using the peppermint oil, it is important to dilute it with other carrier oils like almond oil, coconut oil, or jojoba oil. This is because the peppermint essential oil is one of the highly concentrated and harsh essential oils.
How To Use Essential Oils for Anxiety
For you to cure anxiety disorder and some other emotional imbalances, you can use essential oils in different ways. It could be through aromatherapy, topical application, or oral ingestion.
Topical Application of Essential Oils
This is one of the easiest ways to use essential oil for treating anxiety and depression. You can rub a few drops of any essential oils for anxiety into any parts of your body for relaxation.
When you are stressed or depressed, massaging and rubbing these oils into your temple works like magic.
These essential oils go straight into your cells because of their potent penetrating properties.
It is, however, important to take some precautions while applying essential oils topically on the skin. You should dilute these oils with some other carrier oils like coconut, jojoba, almond oil.
This is because these essential oils are very potent. To use a blend of any essential oil for anxiety and other carrier oils;
- you can rub the mixture into your temple, your wrist, or anywhere on your body.
- A topical application could also be through massage.
- On some occasions, you can decide to add essential oils to your shower. Immerse yourself in essential oil steam by adding a couple of drops in your shower.
Aromatherapy Use of Essential Oils
Aromatherapy has to do with the use of aromatic essential oils for improving psychological or physical well-being.
The profound healing you get by just inhaling the natural scent of essential oils is incredible. Inhaling your oils triggers a compelling emotional response.
When you inhale the gentle fragrance of your essential oils, the tiny molecules enter the nose, which stimulates a mental response in the limbic system of the brain. These responses help to regulate stress responses like heart rate, blood pressure, and breathing.
You can inhale your essential oils by making use of essential oil home and car diffusers, jewelry, and room sprays.
Aromatherapy also works well when you put a few drops of oils on a cotton ball or handkerchief before inhalation. Alternatively, you can inhale the scent of essential oils in a hot bath.
Oral Ingestion of Essential Oils
Yes! Essential oils are edible. So, they can be ingested through the mouth. To use this method, however, be sure that you purchase a pure, safe, and undiluted oil. Some commercially sold oils may contain synthetics that are unsafe for ingesting.
For stress and anxiety relief, you can add a drop of oil and a teaspoon of honey in a glass of water to drink. Also,essential oils work well for depression when taken in the form of capsules or added to your tea or other beverages.
Essential Oil Recipes for Anxiety
1. Essential Oil Neck Rub
- 3 drops pure lavender oil
- 1 teaspoon of jojoba oil
- Blend the lavender oil with the carrier oil in your palm
- Massage onto your neck for natural anxiety relief.
- Do this before you go to bed.
2. Essential Oil Bath Blend
- Grapefruit oil- 8 drops
- Marjoram oil – 2 drops
- Lavender oil – 8 drops
- Chamomile oil – 1 drop
- Rose oil – 1 drop
- Carrier oil (jojoba) – 2 fl oz
- Mix all the ingredients in a bottle with a lid
- Fill your tub with tepid to warm water.
- Then add ¼ ounces of the blend in the bottle
- Mix well by hand.
- Now relax in the tub, inhale the natural fragrance, and feel the relaxing effect of these oils on the spot.
3. Essential Oil Massage Blend
- Orange oil – 2 drops
- Geranium oils – 3 drops
- Lavender oil – 3 drops
- Carrier oil (sweet almond oil) – 2 fl oz
- Pour the carrier oil in a dark bottle
- Then add ten drops of the blend of orange, geranium, and lavender oils.
- Cover the bottle with a tight lid
- Mix the essential oils well to blend.
- You can use this blend a massage therapy on any part of your body to relieve stress, anxiety, and depression.
4. Essential Oil Air freshener
- Lavender oil – 1 drop
- Bergamot oil – 2 drop
- Clary Sage Oil – 3 drop
- High proof alcohol – 1 ½ fl oz
- Distilled water – 1½ fluid ounces
- Mix all the ingredients in a spray bottle.
- Screw the lid.
- Before every use, shake the bottle first to blend all the ingredients.
- Then, spray the room with this blend whenever you want to rest and relax.
Some Tips On The Use of Essential Oils For Anxiety
- Seek a doctor’s consent before the use of essential oils for treating anxiety, panic attack, or stress.
- Use essential oils that are effective for the cause of your anxiety. If you’re depressed as a result of sleeplessness, try to use the oil blend that will help you sleep better.
- Before concluding on the effectiveness of essential oils for anxiety and depression treatment, use it continuously for a minimum of 2 weeks.
- You can also try different methods of using essential oils. Aromatherapy could work well for an individual while a topical application is best for another.
- Always keep a small bottle of essential oil blends so that you can use them whenever needed.
- Do not use essential oils without diluting them with some other carrier oils. Some essential oils may be potent enough to burn your epidermis.
- Endeavor to do a skin patch test before subscribing to the use of essential oil. This will help you detect if you are allergic to a particular essential oil or not.
This post is a free ticket to managing stress and anxiety right in your home. The painless process of making excellent blends of essential oils is about the most straightforward and inexpensive way to keep stress, anxiety, and depression off your record.
You don’t have to use all these essential oils to relieve yourself and balance your emotions, use the one that works best for you.
Essential oils combine all the natural goodness you can ever imagine: relaxing scent, soothing fragrance, therapeutic effect, and magical healing powers.
Don’t wait for your worries to knock you out. A bottle of essential oil blends will always save the situation.