Essential Oils for Weight Loss – Are you seeking for how to lose weight considerably within a short while? Then you are on the right page!
You probably would have tried so many other methods of weight loss such as dieting, exercise, detox recipes, and slimming pills. There is no doubt these methods are effective, however, they require so much physical exertion and they take time.
Essential oils would yield the same result as any of the methods at a much shorter time and with less physical exertion.
What Are Essential Oils?
Essential oil is a highly concentrated and volatile liquid extracted from plants (2). Essential can be extracted from various parts of a plant such as the roots, leaves, flowers and other parts.
In order to get a quality extraction, steam distillation is applied to the plant until the oil vaporizes. The modern extraction process involves solvent extraction, expression, absolute oil extraction, wax embedding and cold pressing.
In recent times, natural essential oils have been used as a solution for many health issues.
Individuals have depended on essentials oils for the following benefits; stress-relief, libido-enhancement, energy boost, mood boost, improved digestive health, relief from nausea, headache and skin conditions as well as weight loss, to mention a few. (3)
Why You Should Use Essential Oils For Weight Loss
The significance of natural essential oils as a weight-loss tool cannot be overemphasized. There has been considerable growth in its use as a method of shedding fat.
It has been said that the oils help in improving metabolic activities in the human system, reduction of fluid retention in the body and significantly suppressing cravings, all of these which contributes enormously to weight loss. (4)
Essential oils do not only help in weight loss, but they are also very safe to use unlike some of the fat shedding pills that people favor these days.
It is important to note that the essential oils will not result in a miraculous loss of about 20 to 50 pounds overnight. Hence, it is okay to manage your expectations a bit.
However, there is no doubt in the ability of the oil to provoke some fat shedding behavior in your system and lifestyle.
Where To Buy Essential Oils
Knowing where to buy essential oils is important as some sellers do not sell a pure, organic variation of it. So, while it may look like an easy task, it is often hard to differentiate between sellers who offer the purest variant and those who do not.
This is why I get my bottles of pure essential oils from Plant therapy’s Amazon page. They offer diverse kinds of essential oils at really cheap prices. You can also get yours at the lowest prices you can trust there.
6 Essential oils that help in weight loss
There are tons of essential oils that help in weight loss. However, we shall limit our discussion to just 6 of the most potent of them. The six essential oils considered in the course of this article which is beneficial for losing weight are listed below:
- Lemon Essential Oil
- Grapefruit Essential Oil
- Cinnamon Essential Oil
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Ginger Essential Oil
- Juniper Essential Oil
Now we shall elucidate the functionality of each of the six essential oils in the weight loss process.
1. Lemon Essential Oil
The lemon essential oil is the first to be considered in this article. This essential oil is popular for its use in aromatherapy. The oil is extracted from the citrus lemon plant peel.
This popular essential oil offers so many health benefits to human health; it helps with anxiety, mood, Alzheimer’s disease, weight loss and so on. However, the focal point of this article is on the weight loss benefit of the lemon essential oil.
It is important to note that the lemon essential oil is quite different from the lemongrass essential oil. Lemon essential oil is an amazing detoxifier, an attribute that explains its activities in promoting weight loss, boosting energy levels and mood.
In the year 2003, a study was conducted and published in Experimental Biology and Medicine.
In the course of the study, experiments were carried out on rats, and it was discovered that the scent of lemon and grapefruit essential oils which was inhaled affected the nervous system and resulted in an enhanced breakdown of body fat. (5)
How to use lemon essential oil for weight loss
You can administer the lemon essential oils in three ways including:
- A few drops of the lemon essential oil should be put on a cotton ball
- The next step is to inhale gently the scent of the essential oil before having meals.
- Add a few drops of the essential oil on carrier oil which you use often.
- Then you use the oil to massage the part of your body where the fat accumulates.
- This helps in eliminating the toxins and wastes in the fat cells.
- Adding a few drops of the lemon essential oil into your drinking water in the morning. This helps in improving the efficiency of the digestive system and eliminating toxins.
2. Grapefruit Essential Oil
The second essential oil to be considered for weight loss is the grapefruit essential oil. Grapefruit as a fruit is widely known for its prowess when weight loss is involved, however, very few people know of the wonders that the grapefruit essential oil can do for weight loss.
Due to the high concentration of d-limonene in the grapefruit essential oil, it is considered to be as effective as the lemon essential oil as far as weight loss is concerned.
The grapefruit essential oil helps the body in boosting metabolic activities, increasing energy and endurance, reducing cravings and reducing the accumulation of abdominal fats.
How to use the grapefruit essential oil for weight loss
- Mix a few drops of the grapefruit essential oil with any carrier oil of your choice
- Use the oil to massage the parts of your body where there is an accumulation of fats.
- Massage these parts for about 30 minutes then proceed to the bathroom and wash off the oil with water.
- It is important to note that Grapefruit is a phototoxic oil, hence it is not advisable to apply it directly on the skin without mixing it with a carrier oil. If at all you feel it is necessary to apply it directly you must avoid exposing that area of your body to sunlight for at least 12 hours.
- Apply a few drops of the grapefruit essential oil in your drinking water every morning.
- This helps in eliminating the toxins and expedites the loss of excess fat in the body.
- Apply a few drops of the grapefruit essential oil on the inner side of your wrist and keep inhaling the scent throughout the day.
3. Cinnamon Essential Oil
Another essential oil that is very effective for weight loss is the cinnamon essential oil.
The cinnamon essential oil helps in improving metabolic activities in the body, aside from this, it also helps in maintaining the blood sugar and cholesterol levels in the body.
Also, it helps in reducing the craving for a certain type of food. All of these have a huge effect on the weight loss process of an individual.
A recent study has shown that one of the chemical compounds in cinnamon called cinnamaldehyde which gives cinnamon the pleasant flavor it poses helps in expediting the process of burning fats in the body. (6)
How to administer the cinnamon essential oil for weight loss
- Add a few drops of the cinnamon essential oil to all sorts of food like tea, fruits, baked food, smoothies and so on.
- You can also mix a few drops of the cinnamon essential oil with honey and then put a spoonful of honey in a cup of warm water and drink before having your meals and/or before going to bed at night.
- Another way of using the cinnamon essential oil for weight loss is by putting a drop of the oil on the inner part of your wrist and sniffing it whenever you are having untimely cravings.
4. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender is popular for the fragrance that emanates from its flowers. Yet, very little attention is paid to its health benefit where weight loss is concerned.
The lavender essential oil has many health benefits some of which are better sleep, uplifting mood, anxiety and stress reduction; as well as reduction of body weight.
Lavender essential oil specifically helps in reducing the level of the stress hormone called the cortisol. The cortisol is responsible for the existence of stress-triggered weight gain in people.
Hence the lavender essential oil prevents you from gaining additional weight and reduces your current weight through the reduction of the cortisol levels in your body.
How to apply the Lavender essential oil for weight loss
- Add a few drops of the lavender essential oil in your bath water and have your bath with the water.
- You can also administer it by dabbing a few drops of the essential oil on your clean scarf and they wear the scarf.
- You can also put a few drops of the oil on your pillow before sleep. This helps you get a nice and peaceful sleep.
5. Ginger Essential Oil
The ginger essential oil also aids weight loss. Ginger helps in reducing sugar cravings and inflammation in the body.
The chemical compound in ginger oil known as gingerols helps in reducing disease-causing inflammation in human intestine and it also facilitates the efficient mineral and vitamins absorption in the body.
The absorption of vitamins and minerals in turn helps in supporting the cellular energy in the body and creating weight loss. (7)
A study was conducted which was published in the Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology in the year 2013.
In this study, it was concluded that the ginger essential oil has significant anti-inflammatory and antinociceptive properties as well as antioxidant properties.
The enzyme level in the blood of mice increased after being treated with the essential oil for a month. (8)
How to administer the ginger essential oil for weight loss
- Get a cup of hot water
- Get a reasonable amount of fresh lemon and honey
- Add the hot water to the mixture of fresh lemon and honey
- Stir together and enjoy
6. Juniper Essential Oil
Juniper essential oil is also very effective for weight loss. This essential oil is gotten from juniper berries and leaves. These components contain certain properties that aid weight loss such as the anti-diabetic, anti-obesity and antioxidant properties. (9)
Juniper berry essential oil helps in getting rid of toxins in the body due to its natural diuretic ability. It also helps in reducing the level of the excess body fluid present in the body.
The oil is responsible for the release of a digestive enzyme which accelerates the digestive process in the body, breaking down fats and ensuring no excess fat or fluid storage in the body.
How to use Juniper essential oil for weight loss
- By adding a few drops of juniper essential oil to your bathwater before having your bath.
- You can apply a few drops of juniper oil to coconut oil and use it to massage your body
- You can also apply a few drops of juniper essential to your vegetables, smoothies, and milk before consuming them. This helps in speeding up digestion and removal of toxins.
Where can I get essential oils?
Essential oils are available at standard shopping sites such as amazon.com and offline outlets selling natural purifiers.
How do I know I am getting the right essential oil?
Always be on the lookout for “therapeutic grade” essential oils. If you come across the word ‘fragrance’ on the label then it is not 100% essential oil.
Is the essential oil in itself sufficient enough for weight loss?
Essential oils will help your body to dispose off excess fat in your system; however, you still need to maintain a healthy lifestyle to see the clear results of the essential oil.
In your quest to lose some weight, are you still taking the slim fit tea which may have side effects? Are you still going through strenuous exercise routines without any significant weight loss?
Then, it is about time to try something new with the essential oils. They are highly effective, easy to use, natural and safe.