Age spots, also known as liver spots are flat brown spots on the skin usually caused by sunburn.
Though they are mostly brown spots, age spots can come off as gray or black spots on sun-exposed areas of the skin such as the hands, neck, and face, this is often caused by increased production of melanin or hyperpigmentation of the skin.
To get rid of age spots, read on.
Age spots are overly common in light-skinned people and can make you look older than your age.
Age spots on the face can be pretty annoying which is why many people look for ways to get rid of them medically, however, they all come with complications and side effects and they are very expensive.
In order to avoid the side effects that come with medically removed age spots, why not try one of these 11 home remedies to get rid of age spots.
And they sure work wonders- they are cost-effective as most of the ingredients can be readily found in your kitchen and they have no side effects or complications whatsoever.
How To Get Rid Of Age Spot Naturally
Lemons are effective remedies for natural skin lightening. It contains citric acid that helps with the soft removal of dead skin, revealing a fresh layer of skin with that healthy glow.
If you have extremely sensitive skin, lemons can cause irritations and even redness so it is advisable that you skip this remedy or you find one that suits your skin type better. It can also make the skin darker than it already is if exposed to the sun without sunscreen.
- Cut a lemon in half and rub it on the affected area.
- Let the juice on for 15 minutes and rinse off when done.
- Repeat this twice a day till you get your desired result.
Papaya is commonly used in skin lightening soaps and creams because it contains hydroxyl acid and nutrients that help to exfoliate the skin, fade scars and blemishes and yes, it helps to lighten age spots.
You need the skin of papaya for this remedy.
- Simply hold or rub the skin of the papaya on the affected areas.
- Leave it for 20 minutes and rinse off.
- You can also grind papaya chunks into a pulp and apply it on the affected parts for 20 minutes followed by a rinse off.
- Do this once a day till you notice a change in your age spots.
Yogurt contains lactic acid which is mild bleaching or skin lightening agent and in turn, can help even out skin tone and lighten age or liver spots.
- Mix a tablespoon of yogurt, two tablespoons of oatmeal, a teaspoon of fresh lime juice and water to form a paste.
- Apply the paste all over the age spots and let it sit for 30 minutes before rinsing off.
- Rub on a mild moisturizer.
- Repeat this process daily for 7 days and twice-weekly until you see changes.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Put a little quantity on the affected parts and leave it on overnight.
- Rinse off in the morning and apply a mild moisturizer to prevent the skin from drying out.
Discontinue use if you experience more than slight irritation.
Onions contain sulfur which is highly antiseptic as well as other acids which helps exfoliate the skin, hence its use for lightening age spots. Although onions do not have a pleasant smell, it is a good home remedy for getting rid of age or liver spots.
- Cut an onion and rub the juice on problem areas and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse to get the smell off completely.
- Do this two to three times daily.
Tomatoes are one fruit with many uses. one of the uses is natural skin lightening. It contains lycopene which is a mild bleaching agent and a powerful antioxidant. As a result of this, it helps to fade dark spots and also get rid of age spots.
- Cut up a tomato and rub the slice on affected areas.
- Leave the juice for 20 minutes and rinse off with cold water.
Thinking of how to get rid of age spots fast and effectively? Try potatoes. The juice of this wonder-working plant contains mild bleaching properties and this makes it good for reducing the appearance of age or liver spots, blemishes as well as freckles.
This is the most effective of all the 11 home remedies to get rid of age spots and it sure works wonders. For this, you need potatoes, lemon, and honey.
- Wash potatoes and grate them, pass the grated potatoes through a sieve to get the juice and add 3 drops of lemon juice and honey to the mix.
- Rub it on the age spots and let it sit for 20 minutes then rinse off.
Buttermilk contains lactic acid which helps to exfoliate the skin thereby revealing a fresher looking and young skin. It also helps to restore glow and shine to the skin. Due to its exfoliation properties, it can help fade and reduce the appearance of dark spots.
- Dip a cotton ball into a bowl of buttermilk and squeeze to remove excess buttermilk.
- Rub the cotton ball on your age spot and leave it on for 15 minutes or thereabouts then rinse off with warm water.
- Repeat this process daily and watch your age spots fade.
9. Aloe Vera
How to get rid of aging spots on your face is now easy as you can use aloe vera to fade those annoying age spots.
Aloe vera is a great natural remedy for many skin ailments, ranging from eczema to acne, age spots and much more. It is anti-inflammatory and it promotes skin hydration and freshness.
- Simply cut one of the leaves and run the gel that comes out of it on the age spots.
- Leave it on- don’t rinse off. But if it feels too messy for you, allow it a good 30 minutes then rinse off.
- Do this two times daily till you see changes.
10. Castor oil
Castor oil helps to remove damaged skin and it aids healthy tissue growth. While using castor oil as a remedy for treating or removing age spots, patience and consistency are key. It contains anti-bacterial and antioxidants. Castor oil helps in skin detoxification, consequently, softens the skin.
- Dip a cotton ball in castor oil and rub it on the problem areas until the skin absorbs it.
- Repeat this daily to get noticeable results.
Turmeric as a spice is also another skin lightening agent. It contains antioxidants as well as properties that helps to visibly reduce the appearance of dark spots, acne, and blemishes.
- Mix a tablespoon of turmeric with a teaspoon of lemon juice to form a paste.
- Apply the paste on the problem areas and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse off with warm water and moisturize.
This is my list of 11 homemade remedies to get rid of age spots and they work wonders. I hope they are helpful to you in one way or another. Let me know what other remedies you use to get rid of age spots.