Get rid of Canker sores- Canker sore is a popular inflammatory status of the mouth that affects about 20 percent of the general populace. Women are more prone to them than men, and they are not the same as cold sores or blisters.
A canker sore is pointed out by that sore in the mouth that hurts badly and usually, takes longer to go. Canker sores are small, tiny wounds that are in the mouth. It is an ulcer on the mucous membrane that is in the mouth.
Canker sores show up at the base of the gum in the mouth’s soft tissue. Canker sores can be present inside the lips, on the tongue or cheek linings.
Usually, canker sores can be a nuisance because they hurt badly. If left on their own, it can take about two weeks to close up. However, they are not contagious.
We do not know the cause of canker sores, but they are triggered by a weak immune system, an injury in the mouth, hormonal changes, allergies, stress or heredity. They can also be caused by using the wrong oral products.
General symptoms of canker sores include a burning sensation in the mouth 24 hours before it shows, pain in the mouth that makes it hard to eat or drink and a colored crater inside the mouth with a red border.
More unusual symptoms include sluggishness, fever, and swollen lymph nodes.
There are natural alternatives to get rid of canker sores. These remedies speed up the healing process so that in less than a week, you can go back to feeling okay and your mouth healthy.
Coriander is a potent ingredient for healing canker sores. It possesses antiseptic and antifungal properties that help to fight the bacteria causing the sore to appear.
Also, it causes the rate of inflammation to reduce because of its anti-inflammatory properties while reducing the pain and discomfort that comes with sores.
How To Use:
- Boil a handful of coriander leaves in a glass of water
- Filter the extract and allow the water temperature to cool
- Gargle with lukewarm solution three to four times daily.
- Boil a cup of water
- Add one tbsp of coriander seed to it
- Allow it to remain for some time and drain
- Rinse mouth with it three to four times daily.
2. Baking Soda
Baking Soda is a popular alkaline that helps to counterbalance the acids that can irritate canker sores. It helps to relieve pain and to balance the mouth’s pH.
Baking soda reduces the activities of bacterias and stops them from getting into the salivary gland.
It works to reduce the rate of swelling and soreness because of its anti-inflammatory properties. It also contains antifungal, antibacterial and antiseptic properties that prevent infection of sores.
- Mix one tablespoon with half-cup of warm water
- Swish it throughout the mouth and then spit it out.
In severe cases, making a paste is better in treating canker sores.
- Mix one tbsp of baking soda with a tbsp of water
- Apply to affected areas with fingers or cotton ball
- Allow it to dry on the affected spot
- Then, rinse out with warm water.
You can repeat both methods three to four times daily.
Honey is a naturally soothing substance. It contains antibacterial and antiseptic properties that hinder the progress of bacterial activities in the mouth.
Honey can be applied by applying a tablespoon of honey carefully around the sore. This can be done several times daily. Note that after using, the sore can be throbbingly painful, but it will subside.
- Mix one teaspoon of honey with a quarter teaspoon of turmeric powder to make a paste
- Apply to the affected area
- Leave on for few minutes then rinse off with lukewarm water
- Repeat the process two times daily.
4. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil possesses a great capacity to treat wounds due to it’s antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It has been used over time by indigenous people to treat wounds.
Tea tree oil helps to treat different health conditions which include psoriasis, eczema and toenail fungus. It is often found in oral products because of its ability to kill bacteria and soothe reddened skin.
It is effective to get rid of canker sores because of its antibacterial and antiseptic properties that disrupt the germs that cause pain.
- Mix five to ten drops of organic tea tree oil in a glass of water
- Swish mixture around the matter
- Gargle it in the mouth before rinsing the mouth
- Use the mix three times a day.
5. Cayenne Pepper
Another natural treatment to get rid of canker sores is cayenne pepper. Cayenne pepper is full of capsaicin which can momentarily dull nerves to give quick relief from pain or inflammation.
To use, mix water with a small portion of cayenne pepper and apply the paste directly to the affected area. Almost immediately, you will feel a slight irritation.
Subsequently, inflammation will go down. Use this method at least twice daily until the canker sore disappears.
Salt is a natural mineral. It has the ability to drain fluids from canker sores which helps to quicken the rate of healing up.
There is also the presence of antimicrobial and has antibacterial properties that reduce bacterial activity in the mouth. After application, slight irritation may occur.
- Mix a tablespoon of salt in a cup of lukewarm water and stir
- Rinse mouth with the solution
- Gargle mouth with the solution for at least 30 seconds before spitting out
- Afterward, put a pinch of salt on the sore
- Repeat process four to five times daily.
7. Hydrogen Peroxide
The hydrogen peroxide is a readily available solution that has antiseptic properties. This solution helps to decrease the rate of bacteria in the mouth. To treat canker sores, about 3 percent of hydrogen peroxide is needed.
- Mix one tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide into a glass of water
- Rinse mouth with the solution
- Do it four to five times daily.
- Mix one teaspoon of hydrogen with one teaspoon of water
- Apply to sore with the use of cotton swabs
- Leave on for some minutes
- Rinse the mouth with water
- Do this three to four times daily.
NOTE: Do NOT swallow hydrogen peroxide. If you did by mistake, please seek medical help immediately.
Onion is rich in sulfur and can help in healing up canker sores. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that help to reduce inflammation and pain. Eating one raw onion daily can help to prevent canker sores.
- Cut onion into small bits
- Press one bit gently on the sore for a few minutes
- Allow staying until you are sure that the affected area has absorbed onion juice
- Repeat process three to four times daily.
These remedies have been used over time to get rid of canker sores, and they work. However, if the canker sore does not heal up in a week, or keeps recurring after trying some of these remedies, please visit your doctor.
Also, following a proper diet can boost your body’s immune system. Hence, avoiding infections like canker sores.