Get rid of dandruff-Seeing some white flakes fall from your scalp, coupled with irresistible itchiness can be pretty annoying.
Dealing with dandruff can be somewhat frustrating because you will have to be conscious of the colors of clothes you wear, if not, you will be the center of attraction when you have white flakes all over your pretty black dress.
Looking for a way to get rid of dandruff, read on!
Although dandruff can be treated by following a healthy hair routine- washing your hair regularly, oiling your scalp at every feeling of dryness amongst others
If you suffer from recurring dandruff on your hair and scalp, this article contains natural solutions to dandruff.
In this article, we will be looking at six ways to get rid of dandruff not medically, but with things lying around in your kitchen.
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil helps to get rid of dandruff because it has anti-fungal properties. It moisturizes dry scalp, thereby providing relief from itchiness.
Directions: For this, you can either use coconut oil only or mix with lemon juice for fast action.
- For only the coconut oil treatment, rub some coconut oil into your scalp and leave in for about an hour or thereabouts.
- Wash off with a mild shampoo to avoid stripping your hair off the oils you just applied.
- You can also use a mild store-bought shampoo that contains coconut oil, or you add coconut oil to your shampoo to get the same result.
- To do lemon juice and coconut oil mix, take some coconut oil and mix half the quantity of lemon juice.
- Massage it into your scalp for some minutes and wash off after it has stayed for at least 30 minutes.
- Repeat the process 2-3 times a week to get rid of dandruff.
2. Olive Oil
Because dandruff is often as a result of scalp dryness, frequent use of extra-virgin olive oil is sure to put a stop to it.
It moisturizes the dry scalp and makes it easy for those stubborn dandruff flakes easy to come off, thereby promoting a healthy and dandruff free scalp.
Since olive oil is easily absorbed into the scalp, it is an excellent remedy to get rid of dandruff for good!
Directions: For this treatment, the warm or slightly hot oil is best.
- Warm-up some extra virgin olive oil.
- Massage it into your scalp (be generous when doing this).
- Wrap your hair with either a warm towel or a shower cap. You can decide whether you want to wash off after some minutes or keep the oil in overnight to ensure deep penetration.
- Use a mild shampoo to wash off and condition. Repeat a few times a week.
3. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a natural anti-bacterial, and it contains fungicidal properties. It contains proteolytic enzyme characteristics that help break down proteins, which includes dead skin cells.
This implies that aloe vera is a mild exfoliant that will help to get rid of dandruff and dead skin cells on the scalp when applied.
Aloe vera also helps to soothe the scalp, thereby reducing itching.
- Cut a leaf off the plant and scoop the gel from the leaf and apply it to your scalp.
- Allow it to stay on your scalp for about 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse off using a mild shampoo.
- Do this regularly for the best results.
Ginger contains anti-inflammatory properties, and it also boosts hair growth. It has as its active component, volatile oils that help to prevent and get rid of dandruff.
For this, you’ll need
- A small sized ginger
- 4 ounces of sesame oil.
- Peel and grate the ginger. Pass through a sieve to get the oil out.
- Mix sesame oil with ginger oil.
- Rub gently on your scalp and let sit for some time. Wash off using a mild shampoo
5. Baking Soda
Baking soda acts as a gentle scrub that exfoliates the scalp without bruises or irritations. The main purpose of using baking soda as a scrub is to get rid of dandruff and remove dead skin cells.
Alongside its exfoliation use, it has anti-fungal properties that soothe the scalp and reduces itching.
Although baking soda can make your hair dry at first, with continued use, your scalp will start producing oil to deal with the dryness.
- A handful of baking soda
- Wet your hair with water and rub a handful of baking soda onto your scalp.
- Leave it on your scalp for about 10 minutes and rinse off with water.
Note: You don’t need shampoo for this treatment.
6. Green Tea
Green tea contains anti-fungal properties as well as antioxidants that help to get rid of dandruff and also prevent the growth of fungus on the scalp. When used, it helps to promote a healthy scalp.
- 2-3 green tea bags
- A cup of boiled hot water
- Put the green tea bags into the bowl of warm water and allow it to steep for 20-30 minutes.
- Apply on your scalp and leave on for 30 minutes. Follow this with a warm water rinse.
Tips to Put into Consideration
1. Use the Right Shampoo and Shampoo Correctly
A clean scalp is a gateway to get rid of dandruff. Using the right anti-dandruff shampoo is key, and shampooing correctly is another crucial step to prevent dandruff.
To shampoo correctly, apply a mild anti-dandruff shampoo to your scalp and rub lightly to remove dead skin cells. Maintain a clean and healthy hair regimen.
2. Always Protect Your Hair Whenever You Go Swimming
This is to prevent the chlorine in the water from stripping your hair off its natural oils. This can cause dry, itchy, and flaky scalp.
3. Avoid Harmful Chemicals
Whenever you go shopping for your hair care products, be sure to check for harmful chemicals in the list of ingredients used in the production of the product.
This will help prevent adding unsafe chemicals to your hair, thereby helping to get rid of dandruff.
4. Have a Personal Hair Styling Tools
If you’re trying to get dandruff off your head, make your hair styling tools only for your use. Ensure that you clean and keep them tidy after each use. Sharing combs will only make dandruff re-occur.
5. Dry Your Hair on Low Heat if Using a Dryer to Avoid Damaging Hair Roots
High heat has a great effect on the hair root. It damages the hair root thereby leading to hair breakage. So if you want to dry your hair, do that on low heat.
The hair doesn’t need high heat all it requires is heat to dry it. Although it might take time, you will blow the hair.
Going around with itchy scalp is quite annoying but with the home remedies above, you are sure to get rid of dandruff in no time.
As you are trying to get rid of dandruff, make sure you get weary of hair products you use as well as sharing hair kits.
Have you ever struggled with getting rid of dandruff? Have you tried home remedies for dandruff? Do you keep having dandruff on hair? Drop your answers in the comment section and let’s keep the conversation.