Get Rid of Oily Skin-One of the many ways humans differ from each other is in skin type; some have dry skin, some oily skin while a few other falls between the two extremes.
The skin has sebaceous glands that secrete a substance called sebum. Sebum is an oily substance made from fats, and when the sebaceous glands secrete too much sebum, the skin becomes very oily.
If you found out that your skin tends to produce tons of oil and gets pretty shiny, this means your sebaceous glands secrete too much sebum. And this can be a problem because these oils can trap dirt and dead cells in the pores and cause pimples.
Oily skin isn’t exactly a bad thing; in fact, it can be useful if you find a way to manage the secretion of oil. Unlike dry skin which gets parched and wrinkled as you age, oily skin develops very few wrinkles and ages a lot better.
But why do some people have oily skin and others don’t? Well, several factors can make the sebaceous glands go into overdrive and secrete tonnes of sebum, okay. So what are they?
- Skin type (whether oily or dry) is genetic. Of course, this is a no brainer, if your mum or dad has oily skin chances are you’ll have it too.
- Hormonal changes, especially during puberty, can cause the skin to get oily
- Using the wrong skin care product can make the skin get oily, and some medications, too, can cause oily skin as a side effect.
If you find your skin always glossy and very oily, there are ways to reduce and control the amount of oil it produces.
Of course, there are lots of cosmetic products that claim to get rid of oily skin, but the truth is that these products contain some chemicals that can cause some damage to the skin over time.
So to control and probably get rid of oily skin, your best bet is using natural home remedies. And here are the most effective natural home remedies to get rid of oily skin.
Aloe Vera is one of the best home remedies for getting rid of oily skin. It contains vitamins and minerals which moisturize the surface eliminates the excess oils from the skin, making it suitable for treating oily skin.
To treat your skin with aloe vera gel;
- Break off a leaf from the aloe vera plant
- Cut the leaf into small pieces and extract the gel. You can do this with a spoon.
- Gently rub this gel on your face and leave it to dry
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Alternatively, you can apply it just before bedtime and leave it on until the next morning.
Cosmetic clay mask
Cosmetic clays can help absorb oil from the skin, and it’s also used to treat many skin conditions.
The French green clay is a popular clay mask used for controlling and getting rid of acne and blemishes, oily skin, because of its absorbent properties.
French green clay comes in powder form, and you can make it into a paste with rose water.
To treat oily skin with French green clay mask;
- Mix a teaspoon of French green clay with a small amount of rose water or filtered water until they form a consistent paste.
- Apply the clay mask on your face and leave it on until it dries.
- Wash off the clay with warm water and pat dry.
Egg white and lemon juice
The combination of egg whites and lemons is one excellent home remedy for treating oily skin. Both ingredients are known to tighten pores, which reduces the secretion of sebum.
Also, the acidity of lemon juice helps absorb excess oil from the skin. Studies show that lemons also have antibacterial abilities, which is great for removing bacteria from the face.
Despite being very effective, this remedy isn’t a good choice for people who are allergic to eggs.
To make an egg white and lemon face mask;
- Crack 1 egg and carefully separate the white from the yolk, mix it with 1 teaspoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice.
- Apply it to your face, and leave it on until the mask dries.
- Remove with warm water and pat dry.
One of the most revered substances for natural skincare is honey, and this is because of its antibacterial and antioxidant properties.
As a natural humectant used in many skincare products, honey moisturizes and nourishes the skin while keeping all that excess oil production in check, this is because of its ability to draw out moisture from the skin.
To get rid of oily skin with honey;
- Wash your face and pat it dry
- Using your fingertips or a clean face brush, spread a thin layer of organic honey over your face and neck
- Leave it on for about 10 to 15 minutes before washing it off with lukewarm water
- Apply a skin moisturizer.
Mangoes have a lot of health benefits and are used for several natural home remedies. Mango pulp has antibacterial properties, which makes it ideal for fighting acne-causing bacteria and preventing the skin from blemishes.
Mangoes also protect the skin from the scourging UV rays of the sun and also helps prevent the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles on the skin.
The vitamins and minerals present in the pulp of mangoes help to keep the skin oils within the normal level.
To make a face mask with Mangoes;
- Mix mango pulp with milk and apply it on your face
- Leave it on for about 15 to 20 minutes
- Wash it off with lukewarm water and moisturize your face.
Another natural way to get rid of oily skin at home is by using yogurt. Yogurt contains lactic acid, which is excellent for skin exfoliation.
Removing dead skin cells from the surface of your skin will help prevent acne. You can make a face mask with yogurt by adding oatmeal and honey.
These ingredients will contribute to exfoliate, moisturize, and extract excess oils from the skin.
To get rid of oily skin with yogurt;
- Grind about half a cup of oatmeal in a food processor
- Mix about 3 tablespoons of ground oatmeal with a tablespoon of honey
- Add a tablespoon full of yogurt to the mix and thoroughly combine the 3
- Use your fingertips to rub it over your face and neck gently
- Leave the mask on for about 15 minutes before washing it off with water
- Moisturize your face.
- Do this every day for at least a week and watch your face transform into a skin texture to an impurities-free and glowing beauty.
Apple cider vinegar
Among the many health benefits of apple cider vinegar is its ability to remove dead skin cells from the surface of the skin. Plus, it can control excess oils on the skin. And it’s best to use this at night, just before bedtime.
To control excess oil on the skin with apple cider vinegar;
- Soak a cotton ball with apple cider vinegar and use it to wipe your face. Repeat this several times, each time with a fresh cotton ball soaked up with vinegar.
- Leave it on your face for 5 to 10 minutes before washing it off.
If you have sensitive skin, then dilute the vinegar with some water.
In many DIY face mask recipes, you’ll find oatmeal and one of the ingredients; this is because oatmeal has the calm inflamed skin and its absorbent properties help absorb excess oil from the skin.
When used for face masks, oatmeal is usually ground into a powder and mixed with honey or other ingredients like yogurt, lemon juice, mashed fruits, turmeric, etc.
To get rid of oily skin with oatmeal, make this simple face mask;
- Grind about half a cup of oatmeal in a food processor
- Mix about 3 spoons with warm water to form a paste
- Add one tablespoon of honey and mix thoroughly
- Apply the mask on your face and neck and leave it on for about 10 to 15 minutes before washing it off with warm water.
Almonds have the ability to absorb oil from the skin, and it also acts as a skin exfoliant. Using ground almonds in a face mask will help get rid of excess oils, dead skin cells, and impurities from your skin.
To treat oily skin with almonds;
- Grind raw almonds into a fine powder
- Take 3 spoons of the almond powder and mix thoroughly with 2 spoons of organic honey
- Apply the mixture on a clean and dry face.
- Leave it on for about 10 to 15 minutes, then wash it off with warm water.
If you have nut allergies, this may not be the right choice for you.
Cucumbers are rich in vitamins and minerals which nourish the skin, coupled with their cooling and astringent effect which works to tighten the pores. They’re excellent for reducing the secretion of sebum from the glands.
To fight oily skin with cucumbers;
- You can place slices of chilled cucumbers on your face.
- For a more thorough treatment, extract the cucumber juice and mix it with lemon juice
- Apply this mixture on your face regularly for control oil, reduce sunburn, and soothe the skin.
Lemon juice has countless benefits for the skin. Its acidity and antiseptic properties work to keep bacteria away, this heals blemishes, restores the skin and lighten discolorations.
Amongst its many benefits is the ability to control excess oil on the skin due to its astringent effect.
To fight oily skin with lemon juice;
- Mix a few tablespoons of freshly pressed lemon juice with water in the ratio of 1:1.5
- Apply this mixture on your face using cotton balls
- After about 10 minutes, wash your face and moisturize it.
Tomatoes are used as a common home remedy for treating acne because it contains salicylic acid. The acidity of tomato juice also helps to unclog pores, remove dead cells, and absorb the excess oils on the skin.
To make a tomato face mask;
- Mix 1 teaspoon of sugar with the pulp of 1 tomato.
- Apply this on your face and neck in a circular motion.
- Leave the mask on for about 5 minutes.
- Rinse it off with warm water and pat dry.
Lactic acid helps improve the texture of your skin, which is why you’ll see it in all kinds of skincare products, and buttermilk is naturally high in lactic acid. This high acidity is responsible for its bitter taste, and also skin-smoothing properties.
To use buttermilk, apply buttermilk on your face, or you can mix it with oatmeal powder for a simple face mask.
Orange peels have astringent properties that work to tighten the pores and restrict the secretion of oil; this makes it very useful for getting rid of oily skin.
It’s also rich in vitamin C which lightens the skin, reduces discoloration, and evens out the skin tone.
To treat oily skin with orange peels;
- Dry the peels in the sun or an oven
- Reduce the dry orange peels to powder with a grinder
- Make the powder into a paste with rose water
- Spread this on your face as a mask and leave it on for about 15 minutes
- Wash it off with water and moisturize your face.
Wash your face
This may seem like a waste of time, but it’s far from it. Washing your face can make it dry and tremendously reduce the amount of oil it produces.
But make sure you don’t overdo it else it becomes counterproductive, and the oil secretion will go into overdrive. If you wash your face too much, your skin will produce even more oil makeup for your dried out face.
So, it’s best to establish a balanced face washing routine. Washing your face twice a day with mild and fragrant soap will do just fine.
Though oily skin can be inconvenient, it isn’t exactly a bad thing. The sebaceous glands secrete sebum to keep skin healthy, moisturized, and supple.
Oil also makes the skin look radiant and minimizes the appearance of wrinkles. But when there’s too much oil, then you need to control it.
You can experiment with any of the above home remedies to get rid of excess oils from your skin. And while fighting oily skin, make sure you never go to bed with your make-up on.
Alternatively, you can seek professional help and talk to a dermatologist.