We all know stretch marks are unappealing to the sight, but before we talk about how to get rid of stretch marks, let’s take some time to understand what it is and the possible cause.
Stretch marks are noticeable lines on the skin often, with a red or pink color and even off-color hue. They are mostly found on the abdomen, upper arms and thighs, buttocks, and breasts.
When the skin stretches, the collagen in it becomes weak. This brings about the formation of lines on the surface of the skin, leading to stretch marks.
However, stretch marks are not a type of disease, and it can be caused by any of the following in addition to the pre-highlighted causes of stretch marks:
- Use of certain medications, lotions, pills, steroids, and corticosteroid creams.
- Muscle building.
- Hormonal changes during puberty
- Loose Skin After pregnancy.
It is natural that every woman, at some point in her life, will develop stretch marks.
As natural as they are, they don’t look good, and no woman would want to have stretch marks on her skin. It limits one’s choice of clothes as we don’t want those lines peeping through our sleeveless dress or cropped tops.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks
Not sure of what to do when you get them on your skin or how to get rid of stretch marks? Try a natural way! Below is a list of tested natural home remedies to get rid of stretch marks in the comfort of your home.
1. Egg Whites
Eggs are highly rich in protein. Only egg whites should be used to get rid of stretch marks, and only egg whites should be used because it contains both amino acids and proteins.
- Whites of two eggs
- Olive oil
- Whip the whites together with a fork.
- Wash the affected area with clean, warm water.
- Apply a thick layer of the egg whites using a brush.
- Leave it to dry completely and rinse off with cold water.
- Apply olive oil to moisturize the skin.
Note: Do this daily for two weeks for the best results.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe is considered as a wonder-working herb used in the treatment of many skin conditions. It is beneficial to the skin, speeds the healing process and soothes the skin.
It contains glucomannan and gibberellin, which helps increase collagen in the skin and fades stretch marks.
Aloe vera is said to be the most effective homeopathic remedy for stretch marks. It contains essential vitamins, enzymes, and minerals that have antioxidant properties.
- Five Vitamin A capsules
- Ten vitamin E capsules
- Aloe vera gel
- Apply aloe vera gel directly to the affected areas.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes and rinse off with clean, warm water.
- Take 1/4 cup of aloe vera gel
- Mix it with oils from 5 vitamins A capsules and ten vitamin E capsules.
- Apply this mixture on the stretch marks until the skin absorbs it.
Note: Apply this mix daily for the best results.
3. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is another way to reduce stretch marks. Due to its acidic content, it helps to minimize stretch marks, acne, and other scars.
- 1-2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoon of cucumber juice.
- Apply fresh lemon juice onto the stretch marks and let it soak in for at least 10 minutes.
- Rinse off with warm water.
- You can also do the lemon and cucumber juice mix. Mix equal parts of lemon and cucumber and rub it on the affected regions.
- Rinse with warm water. And apply a moisturizer.
Repeat this once or twice daily.
4. Coffee Scrub
Coffee is another remedy to lighten and get rid of stretch marks. It is rich in caffeine, and it has a high biological activity, thereby making it easy to penetrate the skin.
Coffee enhances the break-down of fats under the skin, and it also has antioxidants that help to lighten stretch marks when used as a scrub.
- Coffee grounds
- Add water to coffee grounds to make a paste.
- You can add olive oil or aloe vera gel.
- Apply to the affected areas and scrub in gentle circular motions for 5 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water and apply your moisturizer.
Note: Do this daily till you see changes.
5. Castor Oil
Castor oil is a significant treatment for most skin problems such as dark spots, wrinkles, pimples, moles, and fine lines as well as hair fall.
It contains ricinoleic acid, which is a skin conditioning agent that helps to heal stretch marks faster and makes them appear lighter.
- Apply castor oil directly on the problem areas and massage in a circular motion for 15 minutes.
- Wrap with a thin and clean cotton cloth and then apply some heat with either a heating pad or hot water bottle.
- Do this for 30 minutes daily for one month for the best results.
6. Cocoa Butter
Cocoa butter is useful in the fading of stretch mark scars. It is known for its anti-wrinkling and anti-aging properties. It hydrates the skin by penetrating deep into the skin and repairs damaged skin cells.
Cocoa butter also increases the circulation of blood, which, in turn, helps to reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
You will need:
- Half a cup of cocoa butter
- One tablespoon of wheat germ oil
- One teaspoon of tea kernel oil
- Two teaspoons of grated beeswax
- Vitamin E oil.
To Do: You can either apply cocoa butter directly on the affected parts twice a day and after a couple of months, it will fade off.
- Mix half a cup of cocoa butter, one teaspoon of tea kernel oil, two teaspoons of grated beeswax, and vitamin E oil.
- Heat until it melts.
- Apply to the stretch marks twice or thrice a day.
7. Argan Oil
Argan oil is a crucial ingredient in most cosmetics products because of its numerous benefits. It contains antioxidants, and it is rich in vitamin E.
They nourish, heal, and smoothen the skin and at the same time, help to fade and get rid of stretch marks. The collagen in argan oil helps to restore the elasticity of the skin.
You will need:
- Organic argan oil
- Apply organic argan oil directly on the stretch marks and massage for a little time.
- Do not wash or rinse off because this oil gets absorbed into the skin.
- Do this faithfully twice a day to get rid of stretch marks.
Applying turmeric regularly on the stretch marks is another way to get rid of stretch marks. Turmeric is highly loaded with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also used as a skin-lightening agent.
Its regular application will reduce the appearance of stretch marks and blend the skin properly.
- One tablespoon of turmeric powder
- One tablespoon of fresh cream or yogurt.
- Mix the turmeric and the cream to form a paste.
- Apply on the affected parts and leave it on for 10 minutes to dry.
- Rinse with warm water and moisturize.
- Repeat this twice a day.
9. Sugar Scrub To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks
Sugar acts as an exfoliant that removes dead skin cells. It also enhances the circulation of blood in the body, thereby fastening the healing process of stretch marks.
You will need:
- One tablespoon of raw sugar
- Few drops of lemon juice
- Few drops of almond oil
- Mix the ingredients to make a grainy scrub
- Massage onto the stretch marks for 8-10 minutes
- Wash off with clean, warm water and apply your moisturizer
Note: Use this scrub once or twice a day.
Stretch marks shouldn’t stop you from wearing your beautiful sleeveless and strapless dresses. These natural remedies will get those marks off your skin in no time! Try them out, and you sure would smile at what you’d see in the mirror.
We’ll love to hear from you. Do share your success story with us in the comment section below.