Home Remedies For Constipation- Constipation is a digestive issue that is common for everybody. It can be a pain in the ass in that it makes it difficult to empty the bowels.
Often, when you are constipated, your bowel movement becomes irregular because it does not come around as it usually would.
Although there is no stipulated amount of bowel movement, a person should have every week because bowel habits differ from person to person. But when you have lesser than three bowel movements in a week, you are considered constipated.
Constipation, however, is seen as a symptom of other health issues instead of being seen as an issue of its own(1).
Read Also: How To Boost Your Lymphatic System For Detoxification + 5 Swollen Lymph Nodes Home Remedies
Symptoms Of Constipation
- Lower abdominal discomfort
- Reduced bowel movements
- Belly bloating
- Small and hard stools
- Difficulty to have a bowel movement
- Anal fissures and rectal bleeding caused by hard stools
- A feel of incomplete excretion
- Physiological distress
Causes Of Constipation
The digestive tract consists of different organs that are stretched from the mouth right down to the anus. All these organs, however, are responsible for nutrient absorption, digestion, and the excretion of waste products from the body.
Constipation is a result of digested foods overstaying in the colon. This is because the lower digestive tract, which includes the colon and rectum, absorbs water from the digested food.
And when the water is absorbed, it changes it from the liquid to the solid form. This absorption then makes the stool dry, and in the process, it becomes hard such that the rectal muscles experience difficulties pushing the stool out of the body.
A wide range of factors can cause constipation, including:
- Low fluid intake
- Ignoring the urge to use the loo
- Poor physical activity
- Lack of fiber in the diet
- Changes in daily routines- traveling
- Excessive use of laxatives and enemas
- Use of certain medications such as painkillers, iron supplements, antacids, and antidepressants.
- Medical conditions like diabetes, multiple sclerosis, stroke, Parkinson’s disease, hypothyroidism, and nerve damage.
- Digestive tract disorders- irritable bowel syndrome, celiac diseases, tumors, and colon polyps.
- Increased estrogen and progesterone levels during pregnancy.
- Artificial sweeteners
- Excessive consumption of dairy products
There are many medications and treatment for constipation, all of which claims to be wonder-working. Laxatives are one of the medical therapies for constipation, but in the real sense, laxatives do the body more harm than good.
This is why the significant part of this post will feature ten best home remedies for constipation. These home remedies are all-natural and will give fast relief from the pains associated with constipation.
10 Home Remedies For Constipation That Works Fast
1. Organic Blackstrap Molasses
Blackstrap Molasses is also one of the home remedies for constipation. Although it has been in use for many years, it is not widely known by many people.
It is made from boiled pure cane sugar, and it has the highest nutritional benefits and lowest sugar level of all sugars. Molasses contain a high dose of both potassium and magnesium, which are two fighters against constipation.
They work by drawing fluids to the bowel, thereby softening hardened stool.
Blackstrap molasses helps the intestine to form normal stools and also regulates digestion because it is alkaline- regulates the pH balance in the stomach.
Apart from magnesium and potassium, blackstrap molasses contains:
- copper- helps to rid the body of free radicals that can cause cancer,
- manganese- helps to normalize the nervous system,
- calcium- helps to get rid of toxins and other waste materials from the colon,
- Vitamin B6 helps to regulate the nerve and brain functions. Also, it helps to control blood sugar levels.
- Mix two tablespoons of organic blackstrap molasses in either warm water, juice, or apple cider vinegar.
- You can also use it as a sweetener for your foods. Do this for a few weeks at a stretch.
- For babies with constipation or gas, give them a teaspoon of organic molasses mixed in one ounce of cooled boiled water. Do this three times every day before feeding them.
Note: For this remedy, be sure to use organic molasses so that you do not ingest sulfate.
Oranges do not only contain a high concentration of Vitamin C. Its pulp also contains a high amount of fiber, which is necessary for a smooth bowel movement.
- Eat two oranges twice every day. One in the morning and the other in the evening.
- Make sure you eat it with the white threads in it for added benefit.
Water is an essential part of our daily living. It is best to keep the body hydrated as this will ensure the proper functioning of the body system and will also aid digestion.
Also, having enough water in the body will help the body process nutrients and will help the digestive tract move waste along without interruption.
- Drink two glasses of water on an empty stomach as soon as you wake up.
- Give it about 30 minutes before having breakfast.
- Depending on the severity of your constipation, you should be in the toilet in an hour if it is mild constipation.
However, as many people believe that drinking water is good for the body, its excess can be harmful to the body. This is because drinking excess water can cause dehydration and even constipation!
The more you drink water, the more you urinate all the essential minerals and vitamins like calcium, magnesium, and potassium away.
When you drink too much water, the more you will pee, and this will cause a decrease in the electrolytes responsible for the balance of the digestive system.
And this electrolyte imbalance will make the body to be dehydrated, and you will have to drink more water to keep your body hydrated. With this, you will continue repeating the cycle!
4. Olive Oil
Olive oil is a staple in every home. Didn’t know you could use it to get relief from constipation? Now you know!
Olive oil works as a lubricant in that it helps to stimulate the digestive tract such that it produces digestive juices. When this is done, the stool softens and ensures the free movement of the bowel.
- Take a tablespoon of olive oil on an empty stomach and continue every three to four hours. Or until you feel you are free enough to empty your bowel.
- For taste and additional benefits, add a teaspoon of lemon juice or a pinch of sea salt.
- To use for children, take half a tablespoon on an empty stomach.
Note: Use organic extra virgin olive oil sold in dark bottles; that is the most effective type of olive oil.
5. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is another of the home remedies for constipation. Wait a minute! Is Epsom salt a salt? Well, it is not salt! It is magnesium sulfate flakes.
It is one useful product to help soothe constipation in that it attracts water to itself. And this helps to soften stools and makes it easy to pass. This is because it contains magnesium, and magnesium is a natural bowel stimulant that will make stooling easy and less stressful.
Whenever you have constipation, grab a pack of Epsom salt and be sure to get relieved fast and quick.
- Mix two teaspoons of Epsom salt in a glass of water. You can use fruit juice for this too.
- Drink immediately to get relief in about four hours. If that is not done, you can have another glass of this mixture.
- For use by children of 10 tears and below, use half a teaspoon in a glass of water.
Note: Do not consume over four teaspoons of Epsom salt within 24 hours.
6. Lemon Juice And Water
Lemon is one fruit that its uses cannot be outnumbered. You can use lemon juice to treat acne, lighten the skin, whiten a cloth, and much more. Of all these benefits, the most ignored and unmentioned is the fact that it helps to get relief from constipation.
It contains a high concentration of citric acid, which helps to stimulate the digestive juices in the gastrointestinal tract. Also, it helps to improve the bowel movement as well as rid the body of toxins and other undigested foods within the large intestine.
- Squeeze the juice from a medium-sized organic lemon into a cup of warm water.
- Drink this mixture every morning to get relieved fast and also to prevent a future occurrence of constipation.
7. Aloe Vera
If you have restricted the aloe plant in your garden for when you have burns or acne on your face, I hope this changes your mind! This plant has many uses, one of which is its use to help treat digestive problems like constipation.
Since this plant is in its raw and unprocessed form, you can be sure to see changes in your bowel movement in just hours.
- Take two tablespoons of your raw aloe vera gel.
- Mix the gel in a glass of either water or fruit juice.
- Have a glass of this aloe drink every day until you feel you are better.
Another of the effective home remedies for constipation is flaxseed oil. Flaxseed oil helps to cover the digestive system and even the stool such that it is easy to get out of the body.
- Mix one tablespoon of flaxseed oil and any juice of choice. I would recommend that you use either freshly squeezed orange juice or lemon juice together with the pulp. This is because the pulp contains fiber and fiber helps to improve bowel movement.
- You should drink this mixture before bedtime for a smooth bowel movement in the morning. This is because it takes about four to six hours to work!
This oil has a sweet flavor, so you don’t have to worry about its taste.
9. Ginger Or Mint Tea
The significant component of a mint leaf is menthol and menthol is known to have soothing effects. Menthol helps to relax the muscles of the gastrointestinal tract and also soothes the colon.
This is such that the content of the bowel can move freely and without obstruction.
Ginger, on the other hand, has a warming effect on the body based on the heat it produces. This heat can help to improve the activities of a slow colon.
Who makes tea using cold water? The hot water used to make the tea can also help relieve the pains of constipation in that it gives the body the heat it needs.
The heat then signals the digestive tract to produce the digestive juices, which will then ease the bowel movement.
- Drink about two or more cups of whichever tea you choose every day.
This is because the effect you get from the number of cups you drink varies from person to person.
10. Magnesium-Rich Foods
Magnesium is an essential electrolyte for the body in which half of it is stored in the bones, and the rest work on cell functions. It helps to regulate the muscles, bowel movement, and the immune system.
Magnesium is a laxative, and top drug companies acknowledge its effect.
Since constipation is caused when the colon absorbs the water in digested foods, magnesium-rich foods, when consumed, will help soothe the muscles in the intestines and will also draw water back into the colon.
However, magnesium-rich foods should not be consumed in excess. Because it serves as a bowel regulator, and too much electrolyte in the body can alter the balance of the body.
If you want to opt for magnesium supplements, make sure you do not have kidney problems. Also, know that the use of magnesium supplements can interfere with other medications (if on any).
Also, before you take any magnesium supplement, ensure that they are not mixed with calcium as it can cause you to constipate the more.
For the supplement: Take about 300-400 milligrams at night with water to aid proper bowel movement by morning.
These home remedies will give you relief from constipation. If you use any of these remedies, let us know how it has helped you in the comments. Stay healthy!