Are you trying to lose stomach fat so you can fit into your little black dress? Is belly fat proving to be a pain? If your answer is yes, it is important that you make some adjustment to your lifestyle in order to achieve the body of your dreams.
In fact, having lots of fat in the abdominal area is strongly linked to diseases like type 2 diabetes and heart disease (1).
If you have a lot of excess fat around your waistline, then you should take some steps to get rid of it even if you’re not very heavy overall.
Exercise is important for various reasons. It is among the best things you can do if you want to live a long, healthy life and avoid disease and not just random workouts! I mean exercises that target and reduce belly fat.
Though, it is important to note that Spot reduction (losing fat in one spot) is not possible, cardiovascular and aerobic exercises can be very effective if you are trying to lose belly fat. Exercise also has a number of other health benefits and can help you live a longer life. This article explores 13 such articles.
- 9 Super Fat Cutter Drink Recipes for Fat Burning and Belly Fat removal
- 16 Best Foods To Reduce Belly Fat Quickly
- 7 Best Exercises To Get Rid of Love Handles, Muffin Top, and Strengthen Oblique Muscles
- How to Get Rid of Lower Belly Fat Fast and Permanently
- 8 Best Exercises to Burn Upper Belly Fat
How to Measure Belly Fat
Measuring your belly fat is quite simple and can be done from the comfort of your home. Simply grab a measuring tape and measure the circumference around the waist.
Once you are over 40 inches in men and about 36 inches in women, then you are considered to have abdominal obesity.
If you have a lot of excess weight on your stomach then it is recommended you find the best ways to lose stomach fat.
Luckily, there are many ways to lose stomach fat that has been backed by years of research.
These strategies have been proven to target the fat in the stomach more than any other part of your body. This article will explain the best-proven ways to shred stomach fat off and eliminate belly fat for good.
What are the Causes of Belly Fat
- Male gender
- Post-menopausal women
- Heavy drinking
- High-stress levels
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Unhealthy diet
Like we mentioned earlier, losing belly fat is possible. If you think you’ve tried your best all to no avail, then it means you’re doing something wrong.
There are a number of ways to lose weight from stomach from daily exercises to diet plans.
13 Simple Exercises To Help Lose Stomach Fat Quickly
1. Bicycle Exercises
For this exercise, you do not need a bicycle. Rather, you will only be mimicking the usual bicycle movements.
- Lie on the floor and keep hands either by your sides or behind your head as if you are trying to do crunches
- Lift both your legs off the ground and bend them at the knees
- Bring your right knee close to your chest while keeping your left leg away
- Then, take your right leg away and bring your left leg close to your chest
- Keep doing this movement as if you are paddling a bicycle.
2. Donkey Kickbacks
This exercise is a killer workout move that will help to burn calories and lose stomach fat as it works your core.
- Kneel on all fours with your toes tucked under while keeping your back neutral
- Draw your belly in toward your spine as you contract your abs and lift both knees about 2 inches off the ground
- Keep abs engaged and bring right knee to nose
- Then, kick right leg straight out behind you, squeezing your butt
- Keep lower abs contracted and your hips facing the ground so as to protect your back
- Do 8 reps on both legs.
3. Lunge Twist
This workout is usually for beginners who are looking to lose stomach fat quickly.
- Stand with your legs hip-width apart and keep your knees slightly bent
- Lift both your hands in front of you, ensure they are in alignment with your shoulders and keep them parallel to the ground
- Lunge forward by taking a big step forward with your right leg
- Then, sit down as if on a chair so that your knees are at a 90-degree angle with the floor
- Position your left leg backward supporting it by the toes
- Keep your spine straight and make sure you are not bending it forward
- Twist your torso (not the legs) to the right and then to the left
- Repeat 15 times.
4. Low-Belly Leg Reach
This simple workout idea helps to target the corset and sculpt the perfect six packs by helping to lose stomach fat.
- Lie on a mat or floor face up with knees bent to 90 degrees
- Keep your hands behind head and your abs contracted
- While still keeping knees stacked over hips, lift shoulders and crunch up
- Take a deep breath and hold the position for 3-5 seconds
- Exhale and extend legs to 45 degrees
- Hold for 3-5 seconds while squeezing the lower belly
- Do 2 sets of 10-15 reps.
5. Rolling Plank Exercise
The rolling plank exercise helps you to train the muscles around your abdomen, hip, and lower back.
- Position yourself on the floor with your knees and elbows resting on the ground
- Align your neck with spine while looking forward
- Lift knees up and support your legs on the toes
- Contract your knees and keep breathing normally
- This is the plank pose; stay in this posture for 30 seconds
- Then, start moving to and fro for the next 30 seconds.
Note: Because plank is a strenuous exercise, do not hold your breath while performing it; even if you feel like it. This can cause nausea or dizziness.
6. Leg Crunches With Dumbbells
This exercise helps to lose stomach fat in addition to getting you ready for the swimsuit wear season.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and a 3-pound dumbbell between your feet
- Place hands, palms down, under your sitting bones
- While concentrating on your lower abs, use them to bring your knees in toward your chest and lift your hips, head, and shoulders slightly at the same time.
- Return to the starting position
- That is 1 rep; do 15–30 reps 3–4 times a week.
7. Stomach Vacuum Exercises
Stomach vacuum exercises are low-impact exercises that focus primarily on getting you to breathe instead of increasing your heart rate. They can be performed in different ways to help lose stomach fat. Variations to the stomach vacuum exercise are listed below:
i. This variation is similar to what we call the cat stretch pose. It is also known as the four-point, transverse-abdominal stomach vacuum.
- Go down to the ground on all fours, use hands and knees to support your body
- Take a deep breath and loosen your abdomen
- While exhaling, simultaneously tighten the abdomen muscles
- Hold this position for 15-30 seconds
- Repeat the process.
ii. Another variation of stomach vacuum exercise is elevators. Here’s how to perform it:
- Sit on a chair and imagine your belly to be a moving elevator that is going up
- Now inhale deeply using only your nose and imagine that is the first floor
- Using your mouth, breathe out and simultaneously push your belly towards your spine; imagine that you are going up to the fifth floor
- Breathe out fast five more times and squeeze your abs every time you exhale
- Repeat the moves five more times.
iii. You can also try standing pelvic tilts as another form of stomach vacuum exercise.
- Stand with your legs hip-width apart and bend knees slightly
- Inhale deeply through your nose and push your belly inwards towards your spine; at the same time, roll your hips out in the front
- Do five to six sets.
Note: People suffering from any heart or lung ailment should avoid performing this exercise. Importantly, this exercise should only be performed on an empty stomach only, because it might lead to indigestion.
8. Oblique Driving Knee Crunch
The oblique driving knee crunch is a basic exercise to help you lose stomach fat. It helps to work your core and improve the strength of your abdominal muscle and region. It should be performed with a stability ball for optimal effect.
- Lie on your back on a stability ball with your feet hip-distance apart on the floor and knees bent to 90 degrees
- Then, place your right hand behind your head and your left fingertips on the floor for balance
- Brace your core and lift your left foot off the floor
- Extend your left leg, foot flexed
- Afterward, crunch up, twisting your right shoulder and rib cage toward your left knee while simultaneously stretching your right leg straight. Make sure to keep your foot on the floor
- Return to starting position (left leg lifted and right leg bent); that’s 1 rep
- Do 15 reps, then switch sides and repeat.
9. Side To Side Bend
This exercise is yet another great way to lose stomach fat.
- Stand with your feet apart and keep your hands to the sides
- While keeping your legs grounded, bend your body to the right as much as possible till you feel a strain on your left waist
- In this position, make sure your right hand is on the right hip, and your left hand is raised upwards
- Maintain the position for 15 seconds
- Then, return to the original position
- Now bend to the left, and retain the position for another 15 seconds
- Slowly, increase the holding time to 30 seconds on each side.
10. Boat Pose
The boat pose is a widely accepted yoga pose. It helps you to lose stomach fat in an easy and simple way. This pose also works to keep your abdominal muscles worked.
- Sit with your feet on the floor, knees bent and hands beneath your knees for support
- Keeping your chest lifted and shoulders back, engage your ab muscles and raise your lower legs until they are parallel to the floor (your knees should still be bent) and you are balancing on your sitting bones
- If this feels comfortable, begin to straighten your legs. Stop only if you feel any discomfort in your back and stretch your arms forward
- Hold for 5–15 breaths, then release
- Repeat up to 5 times.
11. Captain’s Chair
This exercise requires a chair. Ensure that you use a durable one that can hold your weight.
- Sit on the chair with your spine straight and shoulders relaxed
- Keep both hands beside you and place your palms facing downward on the chair by the side of your hips
- Take a deep breath
- While exhaling, bring both your legs upwards such that your knees are close to your chest
- Hold for five seconds without bending forward or arching your back.
- Bring down your legs slowly and repeat.
Plank is a simple and basic exercise. It is notable for its ability to help lose stomach fat quickly as it engages your ab muscles.
- Kneel on a mat on all fours with your hands directly under your shoulders
- Stretch your legs back one at a time to come into plank position i.e the “up” part of a push-up
- Then engage your ab muscles as if there is a seat belt tightening around your waist, drawing your lower-ab muscles inward
- Bear in mind that your body should be long and straight; don’t let your hips sag or lift your butt too high
- Press your hands firmly into the mat, and press strongly back through your heels
- Hold for 1–2 minutes or more and then drop back to all fours
- Do 3 reps.
13. Do Cardio Workouts
Cardio workout is one of the most effective ways to lose stomach fat and shed unwanted flab from your body.
They are greatly beneficial in reducing belly fat. Doing cardio on a regular basis offers you many health benefits. Research shows that both high intensity and low-intensity cardio is effective for reducing belly fat. Do simple exercises like running, treadmill walking, jogging, and swimming.
These include reduction of stress, an increase in lung capacity, better sleep, and a sense of overall well-being. There are various forms of cardio workouts, these includes:
Probably the first cardio exercise to lose stomach fat, walking is simple yet effective. In fact, it is an excellent way to burn total body fat. Following a healthy diet while walking at a steady pace for 30-45 minutes for at least four to five days every week, can cause a gradual decrease in your weight.
This low-impact exercise increases the rate of metabolism as well as your heart rate. A heightened metabolic rate helps to burn calories at a faster pace, and this applies to the fat accumulated around your stomach.
In fact, walking reduces the risk of injuries and is seen as an efficient workout for beginners.
Running is efficient in that it prevents the body from getting used to a particular workout routine. Therefore, you can switch occasionally. Running for a change is an effective way to keep your heart rate up, burn calories, and lose stomach fat.
If you think running is strenuous or unsuitable, try jogging instead. Research shows that when compared to weightlifting, jogging is more effective in breaking down unwanted fat. This makes it a form of aerobic exercise that is extremely useful for fighting obesity and staying fit.
Swimming guarantees you the benefits of cardio workout ranging from losing weight to toning your body all at the same time! Choose strokes that are heightened, up-tempo and strenuous in order to help you burn more calories. You can start by going for a swim once or twice every week.
Cycling is another potent cardio exercise that helps beginners to lose stomach fat by burning calories. During your cycling sessions, go at a steady pace and then amp it up to a fast rate. This helps to make sure that your heart rate goes up while you are cycling.
Are you still watching that hanging belly of yours in disdain? What are you waiting for? Pick up your training boots because it’s time to shed the fat off.
With the 13 exercise suggestions in this post, everything has probably been made simple.
What is left is for you to start your workout sessions and be consistent to reduce your belly fat plus other benefits such as reduced inflammation, lower blood sugar levels and improvements in all the other metabolic abnormalities that are associated with excess abdominal fat (36).