Yes, to lose 5 pounds in a week is possible, and I’m not talking about just water weight but real body fat.
In case you have been worried about those pounds that have stayed longer than expected, worry no more. You have just stumbled on the article with all the information you need to get rid of those extra pounds.
What is more? There are easy ways to lose 5 pounds in a week. We will get into all that shortly, but before then, I want to remind you that weight loss is only possible when you exercise right and feed right.
Now, there are many exercises that you can perform to lose weight, but since our target is to lose five pounds in a week, we will focus on 7 easy workouts you can perform to lose five pounds in a week naturally.
Not just that, you know I cannot let you do all the 7 easy workouts and then ruin your hard work with the wrong meals. So, in addition to these 7 easy workouts, I will also share important diet tips that you can adhere to lose 5 pounds in a week.
Are you set? Then let us get to it!
7 Easy Workouts to Lose 5 Pounds in 7 days
1. Jumping jacks
This workout will send your heart ramping up and help you burn off calories. It is easy enough for you to try it daily in order to lose 5 pounds in a week.
Follow these steps to perform jumping jacks:
- Stand and place your arms by your sides.
- Now jump! Spread your legs in the air and swing your hands overhead.
- On landing, bring your feet back together and return your arms to your sides.
- Keep jumping for up to 90 seconds
Can you feel your heartbeat faster? That is a good sign that you are hitting your target. Rest for 30 seconds and do it all over again.
2. Calf raises & Shadowboxing
This workout will benefit your overall leg definition and strengthen your hamstrings and glutes. It will also improve your cardio strength.
Follow these steps to perform the calf raises and shadow boxing workout:
- Stand before a wall and place your palms on it.
- Pointing your toes forward, raise your heels off the floor and tighten your calves.
- Hold for 5 seconds and slowly return to the start position.
- This is one rep for the calf raises. Do it for 20 reps.
- Now for the shadow boxing, take a few steps away from the wall
- Next, you take on a fighting posture.
- Then go on and punch the air while you bounce your toes as well.
- Keep at it till you are exhausted. Do you feel your heart pounding fast? That shows that you are burning those fats.
This workout is so effective that athletes use it for cross-training for sports; weight trainers use it as a fitness exercise, and even yogis use it as part of an asana regimen. It is a workout you must not miss in your attempt to lose 5 pounds in a week.
To perform a lunge, follow these steps:
- Begin in a standing position with your feet together
- Then step forward with your right leg
- Now bend your right knee to form angle 90 with your right foot flat on the floor.
- Your left hip should be in line with your left knee.
- Pause for 10 seconds and then switch your legs
- Continue for 60 seconds, rest for 15 seconds, and then start again.
- Do it for 5 sets, 6 reps for desired effects.
Plank is a very common workout that you can try at home. It does not require equipment, and it is very easy to do. It engages all the major muscle groups in your body, and as such, it is a perfect workout to perform to lose 5 pounds in a week.
This is how to do it:
- Fall into a press-up position and rest on your forearms.
- Straighten your back and tighten your glutes and abs.
- Then keep your toes pointed to the floor such that your body forms a straight line from your head to toe.
- Hold this pose for 60 seconds, and make sure your hip does not sag.
Can you feel the heat? Very easy to do and yet very effective. Now try a side plank. Follow these steps to do it:
- Still in a lying position, but this time on your left side, using your elbow to prop yourself, straighten your legs.
- Ensure that your left elbow is directly beneath your left shoulder and your knees are straight.
- Now, your right hand should be on your right hip. Then tuck in your tummy to steady your core and raise your hips till your body forms a straight line.
- Pause for thirty seconds while breathing deeply
- Then roll over and repeat the pose using your right side.
- Do it for 5 sets and 2 reps
Did you know? Performing the side plank can help prevent back pain. And if thirty seconds seems too long for you to hold the pose, you can start with five seconds and then increase it with every repeat.
You can also try plank taps. This is how to do it:
- Begin by taking the usual plank position. Ensure that your wrists are directly under your shoulders and that your body is in a straight line from head to toe.
- Now shift your weight to the left and lift your right arm
- Then use your right hand to tap your left shoulder
- Next, you return your right hand to the floor. Shift your weight to your right side and lift your left arm.
- Now tap your right shoulder with your left hand. This is one set.
- Continue for 60 seconds and rest for 15 seconds.
You know, most of the fats you want to lose are hiding in your belly. The crunch is one workout that you can perform to show that belly fat which the master is. Still want to lose 5 pounds in a week? Then you will do well to include the crunch workout in your routine.
Follow these steps to perform a crunch:
- Begin by lying flat on your back.
- Next, on position your knees at the right angle
- Then you place your hands behind your head and clasp your fingers
- Now push your lower back into the floor while lifting your shoulders few inches off the floor
- Send your shoulders back to the floor and then lift it again. All the while, your lower back must maintain contact with the floor.
- You should also tighten your abs as you make these moves.
You can feel it as your abs tense up, the fats declining? I am sure you can. Perform the crunch for 30 seconds for maximum results.
Do you know the bicycle crunches? You can try it as well. It is just a little more challenging than the usual crunches, but it is easy as well. This is how to do it:
- Lie on your back with your legs spread out. Your hands should touch behind your head and your elbows wideout.
- Next, you bend your left knee and then lift your torso and bring your right elbow to touch your left knee.
- Return your torso to the floor and then repeat the move.
- This time, your right knee should be bent, and your left elbow should meet your right knee when you lift your torso.
- That is one set. Continue for 60 seconds and rest for 15 seconds.
6. Bodyweight Squat
The bodyweight squat is a workout that engages both your core and your calves. Its motive is to help you lose overall body weight.
This is how to do it:
- Spread your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart and try to stand the tallest you have ever been.
- Now straighten your arms directly in front of you at your shoulder level. If your hands are parallel to the floor, then you have done it right.
- Arch your lower back slightly and keep your torso upright.
- Next, you strut your abs, push your hips back, bend your knees, and lower your body as far as possible.
- Now hold for 10 seconds and then return to start position. This is one rep.
- Do 10 reps for one set and go on till you complete 5 sets.
I would also like you to try the jump squats. It is just a bit more dramatic than the bodyweight squats we just talked about. You will expend more energy/ calories doing the jump squats. This is how to do it:
- Stand with your feet exactly hip-width apart. Place your arms by your sides
- Now squat and keep your chest lifted, then jump!
- On landing, return to a squat, and up you go again.
- Continue for 60 seconds before you take 15 seconds rest.
I love the push-up workout because it activates many muscle groups to grow stronger and bigger. In the process, you lose all the unwanted fats. What better exercise could you ask to help you lose 5 pounds in a week?
Plus, it strengthens your shoulder joints for more advanced workouts you may choose to do in the future like the bench press. It is one workout you can easily do at home and meet your target.
How to perform the push-up workout?
- Lie face flat on the floor.
- Now lift your face and place your hands on the floor, shoulder-width apart. Then take a press-up position.
- Tighten your glutes, keep your back flat, and maintain a straight line from your head to your heels.
- Now lower your body until your chest is an inch from the ground and then forcefully drive it up by fully extending your arms. This is one rep.
- For a start, you can do it for 10 reps.
You can also make it more fun by trying an incline push-up. It is also easy to do.
Steps for an incline push-up:
- Provide a height say a stool or a box or even one level of your stairs.
- Now assume a press-up position but place your hands on the raised surface.
- Ensure your body forms a straight line from your head to your ankle.
- Now while keeping your body firm, lower your body till your upper arms fall on your elbows.
- Hold for a moment and then push yourself back to the start position.
- Do it for 20 reps
The incline push-up is easier to do than the regular push-up, so if you are not feeling the heat, you can continue with the old school push-up.
As you have seen, these 7 workouts are very easy to do, and you do not need equipment to perform them. They target the major muscle groups in your body to help you burn all the unneeded fats.
I recommended you perform two or three from the list daily and watch yourself lose 5 pounds in a week.
I mentioned earlier in the article that it will not be nice for you to lose pounds with these workouts and then regain them by eating all the wrong foods.
So as promised, I will now give you some diet tips to help you lose 5 pounds in a week.
Diet tips to lose 5 pounds in a week
1. Drink plenty of water
Drinking plenty of water can prevent the activation of an antidiuretic hormone that sponsors water retention. And you know retained water adds to your weight. It is important that you take water all the time to facilitate weight loss.
Plus, you lose this water through sweat and urine, which means your body is being detoxified. Then again, more water makes you feel full and deal with fatigue.
So go for it, at least 8 glasses of water daily is a good start. You can also go for unsweetened coffee or tea. The more your fluid intake, the better.
2. Eat more proteins and fiber
More protein is a good choice for your dieting since you want to lose 5 pounds in a week. This is because your body expends more energy during protein digestion than it does for carbs.
Plus, they are very filling, just like fiber-rich foods. With a small portion of a meal full of proteins and fiber, you can get full and be on your way.
In order to eat more proteins and fiber, you should focus on plants as your meal sources. Foods of plant origin have loads of fiber and complex carbs that can digest easily. Animal products, on the other hand, tend to leave fat deposits that add to your weight.
Since you want to lose 5 pounds in a week, your meals should comprise mainly of legumes, vegetables, nuts, fruits, and whole grains.
If you must include animal products, then go for lean sources like white fish, chicken breasts, low-fat dairy, Greek yogurt, cheese, and cottage cheese.
3. Avoid sugary drinks
Sugary drinks, including soda, are high in calories. And you hardly feel full with a can. You are compelled to drink more with every gulp, and if you are not careful, you will take in so much that it will prevent you from losing five pounds in a week.
Even after a workout, a sugary drink is not the best option for freshening. Take water instead of a cup of freshly made fruit juice.
4. Avoid alcohol
Think about it for a minute; do you eat more after a glass of wine? If you answered yes to this question, then you should reduce your intake of wine.
Alternatively, if you are sure you will take an alcoholic drink later in the day, you can eat less quantity of food earlier in the day to cover up for the much that you will eat after drinking the wine.
You must also know that alcoholic drinks are high in calories, and they are custodians of belly fat. Additionally, alcohol affects your sleep, and you do not want that.
Trust me; you need all the sleep you can get as you are looking to lose weight. So if you must lose 5 pounds in a week as you desire, then you must cut down your alcohol intake. I mean, really cut it down!
5. Eat adequate portions
When you are sure you eating the right foods, it is quite easy to overeat. This is too much of a risk to take considering your weight loss goal. As a way to make sure that you are not eating more than required, you can measure your food using the food weighing scale.
You can also use the MyFitnessPal app to track the calories you are consuming. Another option is to measure your food ingredients using cups, so you are sure that you are cooking with the appropriate quantities.
6. Meal prepping
If you take your time to meal prep your meals, you will be more conscious of what you eat. For example, you will pack a better lunch to work rather than grabbing it on the go or making a random choice while ordering from the office.
If these diet tips seem a little cumbersome or too much of a sacrifice to make, you can start by making little changes. For example, you can choose to take only half a soda in a day, or you can order your sandwich on a lighter English muffin, etc.
Other tips you may find helpful are:
- Learn to manage stress. When you are stressed, your hunger hormones are activated, and you eat more than necessary.
- Sleep enough. Inadequate sleep can activate hunger hormones, just like stress does.
- When work or assignments get boring, you can leave your desk and do squats and sit-ups
- Burn some calories during laundry by talking about four trips on the stairs and then lift the pack of clothes five times from shoulder height before dropping it.
- Burn some fats while waiting for your coffee to brew by doing a wall sit.
- Try doing squats while emptying the dishwasher. You have to do this consciously for good outcomes.
I hope you find all the information in this article very useful. You can lose 5 pounds in a week by making the right food choices and exercising regularly. It is necessary that you are consistent in trying out these workouts for positive outcomes.
Let me know the workout that was easiest for you to do. And remember, after you lose 5 pounds in a week, you are not to stop your workouts. You must continue working out to keep the weight off long term. Cheers to the slimmer you!