Lose Belly Fat at home- For women who are looking to get tightened core, well-toned, and flat bellies, one of the common hurdles they have to overcome is lower belly fat.
Although you cannot control which fat cell gets shrunk, you can use targeted exercises to tone specific muscles in our body. The lower belly is not an exception.
Ab workouts, also known as core exercises, are a great answer to the question of how to lose belly fat as they help you get the flat belly you desire.
However, your core is not only made up of your abs, but it also contains every major muscle known as glutes, back, abs, flexors, pelvic floor, and scapula. Therefore, the best exercises for shrinking lower belly fat are those that work on all of these muscles.
These muscles provide stability for your spine, preventing it from twisting or breaking and providing you with the necessary power to perform various movements.
The good news for those who are no fans of gym workouts is that you can get a strong core doing powerful exercises while in your home. With the right combination of exercise moves and certain lifestyle changes, you can get your flat belly.
With as little as doing these exercise moves 10 minutes daily, you will see jaw-dropping changes in no time. Also, the best ab exercises do not have to be overly strenuous, and most of them do not require pieces of equipment.
How To Lose Belly Fat -10 Ab Workouts for Women at Home
As earlier stated, the best ab exercises are moves that engage more than one of your abdominal muscles. Although you cannot see all of these muscles physically, they are essential for keeping your body strong.
1. Side Plank
The side plank targets the muscles in your shoulder, abs, back, and glutes to get rid of belly fat. For better support, while doing this move, we recommend that you keep your left foot in front of your right.
- Get into the starting position by lying on your left side and place your right foot on your left foot.
- Now, bend your left elbow and place it directly under your left shoulder while keeping your forearm perpendicular to the upper arm.
- Here, place your left palm flat on the floor or in a fist and your right hand on the right side of your waist.
- Tighten your core and raise your hips off the floor and towards the ceiling. Ensure that you keep your neck in line with your spine with your eyes straight ahead.
- Stay in this position for 20 seconds and go back to start position.
- Perform 3 sets of the 20-second hold on each side.
2. Knee Driver
This is a simple move that targets your abs and shoulder muscles. It also adds a bit of boost that you derive from doing cardio exercises.
- Start by lying face down on the floor, holding your body with your forearms and knees.
- Then, push off the floor by raising up off your onto your toes and placing your body weight on your elbows.
- Engage your abs while in this position and draw your right knee into your chest.
- Now, take the leg back into your start position and draw the left knee repeating the move to make one rep.
- Do 2 sets of 12-15 reps.
3. Mountain Climber
This move is great for targeting your abs, gluteal muscles, and hip flexors. Beginners can start at a slower pace without hopping and then work their way to a faster pace.
- Get down on your arms and knee.
- Then, straighten your arms and stretch your legs back starting from your left and then your right.
- Keeping your spine straight, place your elbows below your shoulders and keep your gaze on the floor to get into your starting position.
- Then, bend your left knee and bring it close to your chest. Stay in this position for a bit before slowly bringing your leg back to your start position.
- While taking your left foot back to the ground, hop with your right leg, and bend your right knee to bring it close to your chest. This completes one rep.
- Do 3 sets of 10-12 reps.
4. Leg Lift
The leg lift gives you a well-toned lower belly resulting in flat abs. It targets all of the muscles in your core.
- Get into a start position by lying face-up and place your legs straight and arms on the floor beside you. If you wish to support your lower back, place your hands directly beneath your butt on both sides.
- Then, slowly lift your legs up towards your face together. Only stop when they are about a vertical position.
- Slowly lower them back to the ground, still keeping your back flat on the floor.
- If you feel a tension in your lower back or have trouble returning your legs to the floor, do not lower your legs so far down.
- Do 2 sets of 10 reps.
5. Russian Twist
This exercise should not be done by those with back pain. It works your ab, flexor, oblique, and back muscles. It is best to keep your spine straight while doing this move.
- Start by sitting on the floor or on a mat with your knees flexed and feet firmly placed on the floor.
- Now, lift your feet off the floor till they are slightly below your knees and lean back a little while extending your arms to the front to clasp them together.
- Keep your lower body unmoving and twist to your right, and then your left for one rep. If possible, allow your body to touch the floor while twisting.
- Do 3 sets of 10 reps.
6. Superman Pose
This move is best done looking at the ceiling when your hands and legs are off the floor. It targets your abs, glute, and back muscles.
- Lie down flat on your stomach and keep your arms extended in front of you palms down and toes pointed out.
- Then, raise both arms and legs off the floor as if you are flying and stay in the position for 5 seconds before releasing your body back to the floor slowly.
- Do 3 sets of 5 reps.
7. Hip Thrust
This move is great for working the muscles in your glutes and abs. In doing the hip thrust, remember not to bend your neck. You can also place resistance bands around your thighs for more intensity.
- Sit on the floor with your back facing your sofa or bench, keeping your knees flexed with your feet flat on the floor and legs shoulder-width apart.
- Place your hands on your waist and your back against the bench or sofa.
- Now, engage your core and lift your hips towards the ceiling until your spine is in line with your thighs. Here, your head will roll up and rest on the sofa, and your gaze should be on the ceiling.
- Stay in this pose for 10 seconds and slowly lower your hips back to the floor but stop while your hips are about an inch above the floor.
- Do 3 sets of 10 reps.
8. Downward Dog Pose
The downward dog pose is a yoga move that works the core, gluteal, deltoid, and rhomboid muscles.
- Get into a start position with your body bent in two from your waist.
- With your hands shoulder-width apart and butt lifted towards the ceiling, keep your legs straight, back flat, arms extended with your head in between your arms.
- Then, lift your left leg into the air with your two arms and one leg still firmly on the ground.
- While in this position, bend your left knee and bring it towards your left elbow so that your upper torso moves into a plank position.
- Stay in this position and take your left leg back to its former position.
- Next, drive your left knee under and across your torso towards your right elbow and pause in this pose.
- Return your left knee to the former split pose to complete one rep.
- Do 10 reps of the move on both legs.
9. Reverse Crunch
The reverse crunch move specifically targets the lower portion of your abs to help you burn lower belly fat.
- Lie on your back and lift your legs in the air with your knees bent.
- Place your hands firmly on the ground beside your body and use your lower abs to lift your hips off the floor in a curling motion into your chest.
- Slowly return your body back to start position to finish one rep.
- Do 2 sets of 10-15 reps.
10. Scissor Kick
In addition to working your abs and obliques, this scissor kick move also doubles as a perfect move for achieving toned thighs.
It also works the muscles of your lower belly and strengthens your core. This is why it is one of our best exercises that answers the question of how to lose belly fat.
- Lie flat on your back and extend your arms on the side of your body with your palms pressing into the floor. You can also bend your knees and place your palms under the back of your head.
- Then, bend your knees and draw them into your ribs to make it easier to pull in your navel towards your spine with your lower back pressed flat into the ground.
- From here, extend both legs towards the ceiling while still engaging your abs and keeping your lower back pressed into the ground.
- Lower your leg until it is a few inches above the ground.
- Next, slowly position your legs in a scissor pose by lifting your left leg up while your right goes towards the ground.
- This completes one rep. Do 2 sets of 10 reps.
Tips For Getting Best Results From Ab Workouts
Effective as the above-mentioned ab workouts are, there are other actions you must take to complement your efforts.
Here are four tips that also answer the question of how to lose lower belly fat at home. Combine these tips with exercises, and you will get amazing results in no time.
1. Love and Compliment Your Body
You should not only focus on getting the flat abs you want, but you must also remember that it is essential to remain physically and mentally healthy through the process. One of the ways to ensure this is to love and compliment your body.
Make it a habit to compliment how you look by saying nice things out to yourself when you look in the mirror or see your pictures. Shift your entire focus from what you do not like to what you like about yourself.
Have a positive outlook about your body, and pay attention to loving other parts that you don’t like.
The bottom line is that all of the self-love and appreciation you give to yourself will make you happier in the long run and leave you at peace with your body while achieving your healthy self.
2. Try Intermittent Fasting
For those who are reluctant to fast, we encourage that you try intermittent fasting. It is not a diet, but rather a form of eating that involves fasting for parts of each or a few times weekly.
How this works is that when your body lacks the constant energy, it gets from food, it falls back on utilizing the fat stores it has and so helps you lose fat in the process.
Intermittent fasting is also powerful for helping to lose stubborn belly fat, which is a result of the alpha-2 receptors that are predominantly present in the abdominal region. These receptors reduce the ability to lose fat fast.
So, fasting intermittently lowers your insulin level, which activates the beta-2 receptors that are responsible for the rapid fat burning and shutting down of their alpha-2 counterparts.
3. Eat Post-workout Carbs
An added great tip for getting rid of lower belly fat at home is to ensure that you eat post-workout carbs. That is, eat carbs after working out. It is only a myth to believe that carbohydrates are entirely bad, make you fat and must be avoided.
Of course, this is not to say that overindulging in carbohydrates won’t have all these adverse effects.
However, starchy carbs and natural grains like brown rice, potato, and oatmeal are a major demand if you must achieve your flat tummy goals. They are even more important when eaten post-workout.
Carbs consumed after workouts are less likely to turn into body fat. Rather, they ensure your body is supplied with adequate fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, that it needs to function healthily and at its best.
At every meal, eat a moderate amount of carbs and about 2 cups of vegetables to go with it.
4. See Abs As A Single Unit
Lastly, while doing exercises to tone your lower ab muscles, you should think of your abs and core as one unit.
Even when you perform workout moves that work one muscle than the others, you will notice that you have to engage all your core to perform them rightly. This proves that really, no muscle is completely working on its own.
Therefore, it is important to work on all of the muscles of your core so that your abs can be toned adequately from every angle.
For total weight loss, or in this case, to get rid of belly fat at home, you must pair this exercise moves with calorie deficit meals. Also, ensure that you adhere to the above-stated tips for even more effective results.
These 10 abs workout you can perform at home are a great way to start looking for answers on how to lose belly fat.