Losing weight could be discouraging and frustrating at some points, right? But you don’t have to give up. This is why you need to include some healthy protein shakes for weight loss.
I love to see women put in effort towards losing weight and belly fat, although it’s quite disheartening to think that often, visible results of actions geared towards weight loss are barely noticeable.
I call my protein shakes “flat belly diet drink” because they work amazingly well when it comes to reducing your belly fat. So, what are protein shakes? How do they work for weight loss?
How can you take protein shakes to lose weight and melt belly fat efficiently? Don’t stop reading! These questions and many more will be answered in this post.
Protein Shakes for Weight Loss: What are protein shakes?
Protein shakes are easy and convenient weight loss diet recipes. They contain amazing weight loss ingredients that will help you shed body fat as fast as possible.
Not only that, your protein shakes recipes for weight loss melt tummy fat and reveals your sexy flat tummy.
According to several dietitians, proteins are key weight loss ingredients that should be present in any diet meant to make you shed weight.
For the busy folks, consuming the adequate amount of protein through solid foods may seem a bit difficult. This may be because of busy work schedules.
So, rather than lacking in protein nutrients to help you lose weight, introducing some bits of protein shakes would be perfect.
Thus, the most convenient and stress-free means to introduce protein into your weight loss meal plan is to take protein shakes.
Protein shakes are drinks made from several ingredients and at times, protein powder. For me, I love to use natural protein-rich ingredients to make my tasty protein shake recipes for weight loss.
These ingredients are everyday cooking foods used at home, which makes it easy to make your protein shakes anytime you want.
Before I give you some of the mouth-watering protein shake recipes for weight loss I have here, have an idea of how these protein shakes work in your body system to induce weight loss.
How Protein Shakes Help You to Lose Weight
1. Reduce Appetite
The intake of protein shakes decreases hunger and appetite for food. According to a study conducted in 2004, it was discovered that high protein diets increase weight loss and fat loss as compared to diets lower in protein.
When you can successfully reduce your appetite and reduce food intake, you are a step gone in your weight loss journey.
Protein shakes help to control your appetite in two major ways. First, it increases levels of appetite-reducing hormones like GLP-1, peptide YY, and cholecystokinin and reduces the levels of hormones like ghrelin that causes hunger.
Apart from regulating the actions of hunger hormones, protein shakes also help you feel full for a longer period.
This increased level of satiety that comes with taking protein shakes help you to eat less and consequently lose weight.
2. Increase in Metabolism
Every weight loss diet plan is aimed at cutting down body calories as much as possible. Daily intake of protein helps to increase metabolism, and this will consequently lead to the burning of calories faster.
During digestion and metabolism of proteins, you burn a lot of calories because you use more energy.
After eating, some calories are used for food digestion and metabolism, this is often termed the thermic effect of food (TEF).
3. Boost Your Workouts and Build Muscles
Yes! You read it right! It’s muscle building. Have you ever wondered why strength training is usually advised for weight loss? It is because it helps you build muscles, and muscle development causes weight loss as well.
Proteins are essential food nutrients that supply necessary nutrients to the body cells, tissues, and organs.
Adequate intake of proteins helps the body to generate the biochemical substances needed for cardiovascular function, muscle contraction, growth, and healing.
Your protein shake is best used after a workout so that the protein can be delivered to your muscles, to begin healing the “micro-tears” (very small tears in the muscle tissue, caused by intense contraction of the muscle during workout) in the muscle.
Because of the soluble nature of protein shake, it easily digests and breaks down proteins to be sent to the muscles.
Following a workout, it takes protein shakes about 30 minutes to reach the muscle after ingestion. However, it may take a longer time with solid proteins.
Benefits of Protein Intake for Body Fat Reduction
- Protein makes you lose body fat without conscious calorie restriction
- Weight regulating hormones are under check with the protein intake
- You get to cut down cravings easily and reduce late-night snacking.
- It prevents loss of muscle mass after weight loss
- You eat fewer calories because of the satiety feeling you get from protein.
- And of course, you don’t have to have a feeling that you’re missing out on sugar. This is because your rich smoothies and protein shakes won’t make you think of chocolates, donuts, sweets, and cakes.
- Proteins are essential to weight loss ingredients
- Thus, you need some daily requirement of protein intake to induce body fat reduction
- An easy way to slip proteins into your diet is to take protein shakes
So, let’s get to the real deal! How can you make the best and healthy protein shake recipes for weight loss in your home?
5 Healthy Protein Shake Recipes for Weight Loss
These healthy protein shake recipes are loaded with essential nutrients that will keep healthy. The protein smoothies recipes are made using natural protein-rich ingredients that can be found in every home.
Later, you can walk into a grocery store, get some protein-enriched cereals and oatmeal for your protein shake. You can use these protein shake recipes for weight loss as your breakfast meal replacement option.
The shakes supply the body with energy throughout the day whether you take it after your workout or before leaving for work. They are packed with lots of proteins that keep you filled for a longer period.
Below is a list of 5 mouth-watering protein shake recipes to satisfy every craving from refreshingly fruity to a milkshake-inspired dessert.
All you need to do now is to pick a recipe, start up the blender and drink your way to a sexy body.
1. Mexican Chocolate Protein Shake
For all chocolate lovers like me, this recipe is worth a trial. It would make you forget your favorite calorie-ladened chocolate drinks. The rich chocolate flavor content of this protein shake is perfect on a hot day to make things refreshing and cold.
- 10 raw almonds
- 1 medium, frozen banana
- 1/2 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5.3 ounces of plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup of cooked, chilled quinoa
- 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 3/4 cup of unsweetened cashew milk
- Cut your banana into chunks
- Place the chopped banana and other ingredients in a high-powered blender
- Blend until the mixture becomes smooth
- Serve and enjoy your tasty protein shake.
2. Berry Oat Protein Shake
This protein shake recipe could be an excellent breakfast option. Just take a switch from your regular simple oatmeal breakfast and try the berry oat protein shake recipe.
This recipe is a nutrient-filled meal that gives optimal satiety and reduced cravings for junks. You can add some drops of honey to get a sweet taste.
- 5 frozen strawberries
- A half-cup of frozen blueberries
- A quarter cup of frozen raspberries
- Plain Greek yogurt (5.3 ounces )
- 1/4 cup of, drained and rinsed, cannellini beans
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 tablespoon of old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup of unsweetened cashew milk
- Place all ingredients in a high-powered blender
- Blend until the mixture becomes smooth
3. Spinach Flax Protein Shake
You may get tired of the loads and turns of vegetables you shove down your throat simply because you want to lose weight. This is a perfect idea for you to “drink” your spinach in one gulp than forcing yourself on a bowl of spinach.
Blending some fruits with your spinach will leave you with an absolutely amazing, sweet, and tasty smoothie you could ever imagine. This recipe goes well for almost anything: breakfast, quick lunch, pre/post-workout snack.
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- A handful of properly washed organic baby spinach
- 1/4 cup frozen mango chunks
- 1/2 of a frozen banana
- ¼ cup frozen pineapple
- Combine all ingredients into a blender
- Blend until smooth
- Pour into a glass & serve immediately
4. High Protein Oreo Milkshake
This is one of my favorite protein shake recipes for weight loss. I get a load of protein source just in a drink. This protein shake recipe contains fat-free cottage cheese, skim milk, cookies, vanilla, and a touch of Stevia to create a mouthwatering protein shake. Hmmmmm, yummy, right?
But don’t get too excited about this recipe! It is a bit high in sugar. So, this drink shouldn’t be your everyday protein shake option if you want to lose weight.
It’s just an excellent alternative whenever a craving for something sweet strikes.
- 250 grams of fat-free cottage cheese
- 1 cup skim milk
- 3 oreo cookies
- 1 teaspoon trivia
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Blend cottage cheese
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the blender
- Add more milk if a thinner texture is desired
- Chill for one hour before you drink it.
5. Almond Butter Protein Shake
Guess what ingredients make up this recipe! Pure Natural protein sources from almond milk and nut butter. Chia seed, which is another content of this protein shake, contains antioxidants and some heart-healthy omega 3 acids.
A blend of these ingredients gives you a drink that will regulate your blood sugar, kick-off cravings, and zap stubborn body and belly fat.
Apart from the major ingredients (banana, chia seed, almond milk, and nut butter), you can add spice up your drink with some other add-ins.
It could be ground cinnamon, maca powder, raw cacao powder, blueberries or any fruit of choice and spinach or leafy green of choice.
- 1 ripe frozen banana
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened almond butter
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Put all ingredients in a blender
- Startup your blender, whip until smooth
- Serve and enjoy.
Precautions to Take While Consuming Protein Shakes
- Not just any drink will do. Protein sips from local gyms and juice shops often carry more added sugar.
- Relying too heavily on protein shakes to replace regular meals is not the best. You’ll miss out on the nutritional benefits of whole foods.
- Don’t overdo it. Since protein contains calories, consuming too much can make losing weight more difficult.
- Don’t stop your workout routines. They help a lot in complement your protein shake diets for weight loss.
- Avoid ingredients or foods that you are allergic to in your protein shakes.
Take healthy foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean sources of protein. Most importantly, physical activity must be on your to-do daily routine list.
Try out any of the protein shake recipes for weight loss above to spice your diet. You can drop your comments and feedback in the suggestion box. Have fun losing weight with tasty protein smoothies!